Tranny flush?

swelch669

I've always flushed or had my tranny flushed in every other vehicle I've owned. I have roughly 60k miles on my 2010 4x4 and was gonna flush it cause I plan on pulling my little camper and boat occasionally this summer. I've been working a lot so I stopped at the dealer to get a quote for full synthetic. He told me it's long life fluid and never needs flushed... This bewildered me. The fluid isn't bad but it's more precautionary than anything. But he basically told me he wouldn't flush it. So I guess I'll just do a filter change and leave it at that. I'll do it on my own too since I'm not gonna be wasting as much time. Guess I'll hit the diffs and transfer case too. But if I ever need anything done I can't handle myself I guess the dealer won't be my choice

Hey swelch, they say lifetime, because the manual says good for 100k.. I however would drain and refill. I've had a flush done on a different vehicle, and the only way I know to completely change fluid is to remove transmission and torque converter. Because probably 1/2 of the fluid is inside ..chris

Go to a Toyota dealer or a TRANNY Shop Only, Toyota has a special tool and process for flushing the Tranny fluid completely and I doo mine every 25-30,000 miles with any Toyota WS Compatable ATF 100% Full Synthetic Oil ONLY, Use Toyota WS ATF, AMSOIL is the only other one I do know of??? Check out Mobil One, Penzoil, Castrol,and MOTUL for the Compatability, they say Lifetime which is Bullshit, and 100,000 miles, I would do no less than 50,000 with regular driving and 25-35 thousand if towing and offroading or work yruck with lots of weight or hard driving! But ,Toyota does have a special tool for theit ATF trannys and some Tranny only shops may have,special procedure! Call it Insurance so your Taco last forever.If a Toyota dealer gives you a sad story and that you don't need it, walk away and go to another Toyota dealer or a Tranny Shop as AAMCO???Don't bother whith idiots,thay want you to come back and buy a new tranny in 5 years after warranty is out and tranny is trash! I did mine with AMSOIL ATF Signature Series WS Compatable at 7,000 miles and will do again at 50-60,000 miles!!!I want only the best in my baby, and I had done at a Toyota dealer in town ,looks at me Funny ,said I just want the best,Former heavuy Equipt Diesel tech since 1976, I am not chancing,lets do it and they did, a couple hundred bucks ,buct cheaper than $5000 tranny in 3 years 50,00 miles or more, RIGHT?

I've always flushed or had my tranny flushed in every other vehicle I've owned. I have roughly 60k miles on my 2010 4x4 and was gonna flush it cause I plan on pulling my little camper and boat occasionally this summer. I've been working a lot so I stopped at the dealer to get a quote for full synthetic. He told me it's long life fluid and never needs flushed... This bewildered me. The fluid isn't bad but it's more precautionary than anything. But he basically told me he wouldn't flush it. So I guess I'll just do a filter change and leave it at that. I'll do it on my own too since I'm not gonna be wasting as much time. Guess I'll hit the diffs and transfer case too. But if I ever need anything done I can't handle myself I guess the dealer won't be my choice
That parts guys not correct for saying that. It does need to be flushed. However, it is world standard fluid 00279-ATF-WS. The mileage intervals are 1st time 100k and 60k after. I'd have a dealer or your preferred shop do it. It is required to be ran at operating temps and you need a scan tool to verify amount and machine to put it in. 05-06 have a sealed transmission (no dip stick). A drain and fill is useless. It just puts new fluid in with old if you attempt to do it yourself. I don't recommend. I see guys doing that and end up not being able to refill not to mention they drain the oil and end up towing it in. If you like the truck then just have it serviced by someone that knows how.

Last edited:
That guys an idiot for saying that. It does need to be flushed. However, it is world standard fluid 00279-ATF-WS. The mileage intervals are 1st time 100k or have a dealer or your preferred shop do it. It is required to be ran at operating temps and you need a scan tool to verify amount and machine to put it in. 05-06 have a sealed transmission (no dip stick). A drain and fill is useless. It just puts new fluid in with old if you attempt to do it yourself. I don't recommend. I see guys doing that and end up not being able to refill not to mention they drain the oil and end up towing it in. If you like the truck then just have it serviced by someone that knows how.
Your coolant is the same way. It's is 100k and then intervals of 60k there after. Same applies to the ATFWS. If you tow a lot them have them both checked at 60-70 to make sure the ATFWS isn't burnt or super dark. Front and rear diff 75-90 and 80-90 transfer case uses one of the same. Obviously manuals use differential fluids also. The 75-90 in most cases you'll need a limited slip fluid for the rear diff. Have your local parts department check if you aren't sure

Hey swelch, they say lifetime, because the manual says good for 100k.. I however would drain and refill. I've had a flush done on a different vehicle, and the only way I know to completely change fluid is to remove transmission and torque converter. Because probably 1/2 of the fluid is inside ..chris
You don't need to remove anything. You can use a flush machine that pulls it completely out of all areas including the lines.

Toyotas don't need to have the transmission filter chanced. It can be done but it's not worth it. If you just do the full flush then it's not required. Also, has anyone heard of a products made by BG? Excellent products. I use the complete line on everything including my cbr600rr to ford super duty diesel.

Go to a Toyota dealer or a TRANNY Shop Only, Toyota has a special tool and process for flushing the Tranny fluid completely and I doo mine every 25-30,000 miles with any Toyota WS Compatable ATF 100% Full Synthetic Oil ONLY, Use Toyota WS ATF, AMSOIL is the only other one I do know of??? Check out Mobil One, Penzoil, Castrol,and MOTUL for the Compatability, they say Lifetime which is Bullshit, and 100,000 miles, I would do no less than 50,000 with regular driving and 25-35 thousand if towing and offroading or work yruck with lots of weight or hard driving! But ,Toyota does have a special tool for theit ATF trannys and some Tranny only shops may have,special procedure! Call it Insurance so your Taco last forever.If a Toyota dealer gives you a sad story and that you don't need it, walk away and go to another Toyota dealer or a Tranny Shop as AAMCO???Don't bother whith idiots,thay want you to come back and buy a new tranny in 5 years after warranty is out and tranny is trash! I did mine with AMSOIL ATF Signature Series WS Compatable at 7,000 miles and will do again at 50-60,000 miles!!!I want only the best in my baby, and I had done at a Toyota dealer in town ,looks at me Funny ,said I just want the best,Former heavuy Equipt Diesel tech since 1976, I am not chancing,lets do it and they did, a couple hundred bucks ,buct cheaper than $5000 tranny in 3 years 50,00 miles or more, RIGHT?

Last edited:
I just did a tranny flush n fill on my 2012 4.0 Prerunner (A750f tranny) with 84k miles ... I used AMSOIL Signature Series ATF (ATL) 12qts. I did not have any probs before flush ... Shop used no cleaners or lubeguard additives. Now tranny lurches if I don't come to complete stop and get back on gas ... or if its in middle of downshift and I get on the gas it kinda 'jumps' ... any help would be appreciated ...

I just did a tranny flush n fill on my 2012 4.0 Prerunner (A750f tranny) with 84k miles ... I used AMSOIL Signature Series ATF (ATL) 12qts. I did not have any probs before flush ... Shop used no cleaners or lubeguard additives. Now tranny lurches if I don't come to complete stop and get back on gas ... or if its in middle of downshift and I get on the gas it kinda 'jumps' ... any help would be appreciated ...

Did you check the fluid level according to the procedure?

They are doing a level check right now... said they would not recommend lubeguard additive with the amsoil tho....

Just finished the level check according to procedure ... was 1/3 qt low ... added that and now all is wonderful. The system is quite sensitive to having the correct level ... FYI ...DIY ... AMS Signature Series is smooth as silk and has twice the protection

Back