Tranny problems?

jprins23

So I have an 09 Tacoma 4.0 4wd 6 cyl. When I'm at about 1400rmp and the automatic tranny is shifting, it shudders for a little before it goes in gear. It only does this at half throttle. Some days it's worse than others. Then some days I don't notice it. Any ideas guys? 150,000 miles on it.

Thank you. I think that's what I'll do. I was also told that a drain and fill or flush with so many miles on it may harm it if it hasn't ever been done before. Is that true?

Thank you. I think that's what I'll do. I was also told that a drain and fill or flush with so many miles on it may harm it if it hasn't ever been done before. Is that true?

A flush will sometimes loosen built up deposits which can clog the passages in the valvebody. A drain and fill just replaces the fluid in the pan which is about 3 quarts of the total 12ish in your trans. I flush at home but using the transmission's pump so that pressures aren't any higher than normal. I also do it every 50K miles.

I was going to do a drain and fill a few years ago but turns out I needed some sort of pump only the dealer had. I don't have a trans oil dipstick to add the fluid. Thanks for the input. Hopefully it takes care of it. Not sure if I want to replace the whole tranny in my truck. Everything is starting to go on it all at once.

Here's that special dealer only pump:

image_24159.jpg

https://www.harborfreight.com/gear-oil-and-fluid-pump-61746.html

Or you can go fancy like me:

1735.jpg

https://www.motiveproducts.com/coll...tractors/products/powerfill-pro-1-gallon-tank

So you recommend a drain and fill not a flush. Just one time drain and fill? I've heard you can drain and fill then run it a few thousand then drain and fill again. Sorry for all the questions

So you recommend a drain and fill not a flush. Just one time drain and fill? I've heard you can drain and fill then run it a few thousand then drain and fill again. Sorry for all the questions
Questions are why we are all here. Welcome to the forum. :)
You could do that. I'd drain and fill see how it runs if it fixes it great if it still feels shuddery do it again. Once the transmission is up to running temp the fluids are going to mix. You wouldn't have to drive thousands of miles.

Questions are why we are all here. Welcome to the forum. :)
You could do that. I'd drain and fill see how it runs if it fixes it great if it still feels shuddery do it again. Once the transmission is up to running temp the fluids are going to mix. You wouldn't have to drive thousands of miles.

How would a drain and fill fix the problem?

So I'll try the drain and fill and keep you posted. If it doesn't work the first time I'll do it again. If it doesn't work then owell I'm sure my tranny needed it anyways. I just won't flush it because that'll loosen things up that'll clog up

Trans fluid is a lubricant and coolant. It wears down and get dirty over time so new fluid would be able to do it's duties better. A drain and fill will introduce some clean fluid into the system.

I've heard of people doing a drain and fill and they add some cleaning solvent, run it for a little than do a drain and fill again. Have you heard of that? It's it smart to do that?

Well I'd start with s drain and fill at least. There is also an aftermarket "shift kit" from TransGo that fixes the shifting issues.

Just read an article. They said to check the fluid and if it has any darkness or metal flakes in it than don't do a flush. The fluid should look the same as the fluid you plan on putting in. Make any sense? Darkness in color means there's damage and a flush could make it worse. Seems pretty logical to me.

Just read an article. They said to check the fluid and if it has any darkness or metal flakes in it than don't do a flush. The fluid should look the same as the fluid you plan on putting in. Make any sense? Darkness in color means there's damage and a flush could make it worse. Seems pretty logical to me.

Sounds good.

Back