Transmission Cooler, yay or nay?

Lacho

I make an 80 mile round trip commute to work 5 days a week and very often on my days off I drive about150 miles, 30 miles of which are on a beach to do some fishing then of course back home. I am having absolutely no issues with my '14 4x4 Taco but I was considering a tranny cooler to help keep temps down. Thoughts or any experience with this? Anything else I should maybe consider since I put a lot of miles on my Taco other than keeping up with routine maintenance?

Yeah if I knew I was gonna put these kinds of miles on I would have done the tow package, which has the tranny cooler in it. I know you can add one but you'll have to run the lines and do it all. Not sure where the lines tie into the tranny.

Well shoot, I actually have the tow package, I didn't know it already had a tranny cooler... so is that what that smaller panel In front of the radiator is?

Run scangauge, ultragauge, or torque app and WATCH your temps. Decide if u need more cooling than factory after that i guess.

Welp, that's one thing I don't have to spend on then, on to the next mod haha... I'll def look into one of those tools, seems they'd be useful to have

Welp, that's one thing I don't have to spend on then, on to the next mod haha... I'll def look into one of those tools, seems they'd be useful to have
Idiot lights and the engine temp needle seem to register waaaaay too late. Besides, its nice to know HOW hot things are running instead of "somewhere between c and red"

Reading and clearing codes is a huge bonus as well

Reactions: 4wd
I make an 80 mile round trip commute to work 5 days a week and very often on my days off I drive about150 miles, 30 miles of which are on a beach to do some fishing then of course back home. I am having absolutely no issues with my '14 4x4 Taco but I was considering a tranny cooler to help keep temps down. Thoughts or any experience with this? Anything else I should maybe consider since I put a lot of miles on my Taco other than keeping up with routine maintenance?

I would implore you & anyone else with a Tacoma to get an after market trans cooler (I run a hayes) especially if you tow, being the not-so-proud owner of 2 smoked A340F automatics I will tell you from experience that heat is the biggest source of trans failures for Tacomas , this goes for ALL gens. Here's how it plays out, trans fluid is 100% detergent, it's job is to not only make the wheels go around & 'round but to LUBRICATE the internal seals,etc;..

Now, introduce excessive heat, the trans fluid heats excessively, the fluid begins to boil (literally) the viscocity fades no longer lubricating & now you have comprimised or destroyed seals & are on the fast track to a trans failure...

It cost upwards to $4k to rebuild

Oh, this heat also applies to the converter...

Back