Transmission Fluid Change

Pikngrn

Hello all, I have had my 07 Double Cab since it was 11,000 miles young and have recently gone over the 105,000 mile mark. I have never changed the transmission fluid because I have always been told to leave it alone in the past , but it's feeling a bit sloppy lately, and I want to change it. (It changes gears fine and no noises but it's different.) I have read a few posts online about how and no posts about whether or not you should if it has never been changed. Any experience out there on this one? Thanks!

Flushing is the issue. Usually if you never flush or you don't know if it's been done before then you shouldn't do it. I flush every 50K miles.

I would at least change your fluid and depending on the condition of it you might be ok to flush should you choose to.

I'm going to guess you have an automatic, if that is the case what whipper said.
If you have a standard transmission change it every 30k. Same time you do your diffs & transfer case.

Should be ok but it depends on how you drive it. I wheel my truck, launch in 4wd at the track and drive aggressively on the street and my fluid was bright red when it was changed.

Well my dad got it at 50k then when I turned 16 I got it at 60k ever since then I've been wheeling quiet often, but I've never launched in 4x4, at least yet :) but I think it should be ok, I'm changing diff,t case, engine oil, and most filters when I get it back from the shop.

I do the case and diffs every 30K. I let the dealer handle the tranny since they have flush equipment.

4wd launches are fun.:D

Yeah I was planning on taking it to the dealer, a lot of other little shops say they do a "flush" but they really just do a pan drop and but like 5 quarts in it, at least that's the way it is around here

My dealer does both and they explain the process of both. Well my purchase deal does but I don't know if the new dealer near me does.

Flushing is the issue. Usually if you never flush or you don't know if it's been done before then you shouldn't do it. I flush every 50K miles.

I would at least change your fluid and depending on the condition of it you might be ok to flush should you choose to.

Could you elaborate? Why no flush if never done and why a maybe flush depending on condition?

Could you elaborate? Why no flush if never done and why a maybe flush depending on condition?

If you have never done it then doing it late can cause bits of debris to be push around into other areas due to the pressure of the flush machine. If the fluid still looks almost new then you shouldn't have much debris hiding out but anything can happen. Most people say don't flush at all because they did and their tranny died but they failed to mention that it was never flushed before and that they have 150K or so on the fluid.

If you have never done it then doing it late can cause bits of debris to be push around into other areas due to the pressure of the flush machine. If the fluid still looks almost new then you shouldn't have much debris hiding out but anything can happen. Most people say don't flush at all because they did and their tranny died but they failed to mention that it was never flushed before and that they have 150K or so on the fluid.

Gotcha. So either flush regulariy or don't flush ever? Just drop and add.

Not sure about the drain bolt sizes. Maybe it would help to write then down instead of looking then walking to the tool box. Haha.

Some people perform a full fluid replacement with the transmission's pump. They do it by marking a quart in a bucket or drain pan. You remove the outlet line to the cooler and point it into a drain pan. Start the engine and shut it off when you hit the quart mark. Then replace that quart with a quart of the new stuff. Keep going until you change most or all the fluid. You replace all the fluid instead of just the 2 or 3 quarts in the pan. I have never tried it.

No problem.

TW is doing so much better with me gone since I was the real problem.....bahahahahaha. I couldn't say that with a straight face.

Quick question are all the plugs for the diffs and t case and engine 24mm?

Depends :shifty:
Someone might have drilled out their engine oil plug to fit a 24MM in it. :whistling2:

Engine oil drain plug is 14MM
Front Differential fill & drain plug is a 10MM Hex Bit
Transfer Case fill & drain is 24MM or 15/16
6 spd Manual Transmission fill & drain is 24MM or 15/16
Rear Differential fill & drain is 24MM or 15/16 (you will want to use a 6 point socket, a 12 point can strip it)

I used a 6 point 15/16 on mine since it was nice and tight on the bolt head so no fear of stripping it. My gear oil had never been changed till I did it at 50k so I'm guessing Hercules was employed at the factory to torque them down :blink:
I sprayed liquid wrench on them every 2 days prior to tackling the job and they were still tough to break loose.

Back