Transmission Fluid Change

Depends :shifty:
Someone might have drilled out their engine oil plug to fit a 24MM in it. :whistling2:

Engine oil drain plug is 14MM
Front Differential fill & drain plug is a 10MM Hex Bit
Transfer Case fill & drain is 24MM or 15/16
6 spd Manual Transmission fill & drain is 24MM or 15/16
Rear Differential fill & drain is 24MM or 15/16 (you will want to use a 6 point socket, a 12 point can strip it)

I used a 6 point 15/16 on mine since it was nice and tight on the bolt head so no fear of stripping it. My gear oil had never been changed till I did it at 50k so I'm guessing Hercules was employed at the factory to torque them down :blink:
I sprayed liquid wrench on them every 2 days prior to tackling the job and they were still tough to break loose.

Haha thanks man, yeah I picked up a 6 point 24mm and I guess I'll have to go get a 10mm hex, yeah I'm guess mine have never been changed either at 70k

Ouch, yeah I say it's about time then. I switched over to synthetic when I did mine. Everything is nice & smooth now. Slides right in to 4lo with no hesitation at all. Before it didn't want to cooperate all the time.
If your before '08 check to see if you have the LSD sticker on your pumpkin, if you do you'll need the additive. The LSD rear came on Sports models but some SR5's got them, Mine did.

Ouch, yeah I say it's about time then. I switched over to synthetic when I did mine. Everything is nice & smooth now. Slides right in to 4lo with no hesitation at all. Before it didn't want to cooperate all the time.
If your before '08 check to see if you have the LSD sticker on your pumpkin, if you do you'll need the additive. The LSD rear came on Sports models but some SR5's got them, Mine did.

My truck is an 08 so I guess I don't have to worry about that but just wondering, what are you referring to when you say pumpkin?

I think '08 was the last yr they installed them can't remember if you have this sticker on it then you'll know.

IMG_2352.jpg

Heard that.

I'm not going that deep into debt changing everything. Plus I don't do any muddin or rock crawling. Just some off road trails at this state park for 4x4's we have here. It's got some creek crossings as well. I use the 4x4 for winter mostly, that's where my LSD rear shines.

Heard that.

I'm not going that deep into debt changing everything. Plus I don't do any muddin or rock crawling. Just some off road trails at this state park for 4x4's we have here. It's got some creek crossings as well. I use the 4x4 for winter mostly, that's where my LSD rear shines.

Yeah I bet, I most likely wont get the locker for a while. Haha here we go again talking about the rear diff in a tranny thread

Another jacked thread. :laughing:

Alright, I have a few things to do so I'm bailing out for a while, catch up with ya later.

No problem! I just filled till she spilled but made sure I got in what was called for.

edit:
Also since I have mech LSD I added the additional additive to the 2nd quart after filling about a quarter quart so it would mix in by the time I added the 3rd quart. Not sure if you have the mech LSD rear. In '08 they started going with electronic LSD which is just using the brake, computer controlled on the tire that spins. If you have the mech LSD it will have a sticker above the fill plug on the pumpkin.

Last edited:
No problem! I just filled till she spilled but made sure I got in what was called for.

edit:
Also since I have mech LSD I added the additional additive to the 2nd quart after filling about a quarter quart so it would mix in by the time I added the 3rd quart. Not sure if you have the mech LSD rear. In '08 they started going with electronic LSD which is just using the brake, computer controlled on the tire that spins. If you have the mech LSD it will have a sticker above the fill plug on the pumpkin.

Yeah I don't have that, we already went over that on another thread lol. Hercules also must of tightened my drain plugs in the rear diff. After sitting an hour in wd40 they still wouldn't come off, I had to get my impact and zip them off

Yeah I don't have that, we already went over that on another thread lol. Hercules also must of tightened my drain plugs in the rear diff. After sitting an hour in wd40 they still wouldn't come off, I had to get my impact and zip them off

lol, yeah he seems to get around, did mine too. :whistling2:

I just used a breaker bar. :thumbsup:

Back