Transmission I hate it

My 2nd time to dealer. Upshift too early. Goes into over drive. Lunges when at a stop
Had TSB performed my last visit. Didn’t really help lived with it. Now I’m for Maint
They say normal operation of trans.

My ? Does TRD is anyone out there offer
Tuning to make better shift patterns

There's nothing you can do about the lurching at a stop. It's an axle wrap issue that has been around since 2005. I have heard that the TSB doesn't fix all the shift happy issues. You can try that controller posted above but I'm not sure how good it is.

Yep that bump after stopping is annoying. Like Nancy said it’s axel wrap and Toyota hasn’t done anything to fix it and says it’s normal. I’ve taken my 2017 to the dealer 3 times for it and had corporate come look at it and said yep it happens. I still look in the rear view mirror when I forget because I think someone hit my truck. Then I say oh ya dumb ass axel wrap and SMH. I’ve been there. I know your pain and suffering. :(
http://www.tacomaforum.com/threads/2017-toyota-tacoma-transmission-come-on-toyota.4729/

My 2nd time to dealer. Upshift too early. Goes into over drive. Lunges when at a stop
Had TSB performed my last visit. Didn’t really help lived with it. Now I’m for Maint

What was happening in 2016 and early 2017 was the transmissions where not shifting into over drive and not shifting soon enough. They where staying in 4th gear at 70mph and running high RPM’s. Toyota came out with a TSB to fix that issue and others like the transmission not going into gear from reverse to drive. You missed that one. Sounds like Toyota might have went the opposite way and over compensated some. After having my truck to the shop 12 times and them keeping it for 3 weeks total in the last 10 months my truck shifts better than it has. I’ve recently had my YAW sensor reset, my CPM reset and my transmission reset.
If multiple people drive your truck the transmission is learning how you drive. So if one person drives more aggressive and one drives like an old lady the transmission might have a hard time adjusting.
Also congrats on the taco and welcome to the forum.

I talked to Toyota customer care to document what’s happening.
And if I have to go lemon law route. I don’t want too. But I am not happy. Driving it. To me I feel like the damn trans is low in fluid.

I talked to Toyota customer care to document what’s happening.
And if I have to go lemon law route. I don’t want too. But I am not happy. Driving it. To me I feel like the damn trans is low in fluid.
Did the dealer check the trans fluid? I’ve had two dealers check mine. It was fine but I didn’t trust the first one.

2017 Highlander shifts too early as well. It’s the Toyota new way of doing things on the new models. It’s more noticeable on the Tacoma since it’s heavier and is built like a brick. The Shift Sense Pro makes the shifting much better. I love mine and enjoy my truck now.
https://www.dz-custom-innovations.com/products/shiftsense-pro.

I STILL say it's on Toyota & their insistence to incorporate a 6 speed auto with a v6, a v6 isn't going to have near the power band of even a low end v8, this is where **** starts to go sideways with a motor/trans. combo that can't decide what gear to be in & worse , how long should it take to get there, smart technology & TAA-DAA, the "smart" transmission that "learns" how you drive ?? Give me a ****ing break already Toyota, if your transmission is going to "learn" anything, learn to be a transmission , sorry OP, these continuing issues with the newest bell & whistle just pisses me off, Toyota surely knew the issues but dumped it off on the public anyway, Good luck with truck & corporate, you'll need it...

Yep that bump after stopping is annoying. Like Nancy said it’s axel wrap and Toyota hasn’t done anything to fix it and says it’s normal. I’ve taken my 2017 to the dealer 3 times for it and had corporate come look at it and said yep it happens. I still look in the rear view mirror when I forget because I think someone hit my truck. Then I say oh ya dumb ass axel wrap and SMH. I’ve been there. I know your pain and suffering. :(
http://www.tacomaforum.com/threads/2017-toyota-tacoma-transmission-come-on-toyota.4729/

I got something for that, back in a minute...;)

I agree 100% that the 5 speed with the 4.0 liter is a much better drivetrain than the current. The Atkinson cycle 3.5 hasn’t had a chance to prove it’s strength and longevity yet so I can’t make a solid judgement on it.
The transmission is the problem with the current drivetrain and it’s the shift points that seem to be the main issue.
I have a Mopar with a 9 speed tranny and a 3.2 liter 6 cylinder. It runs as smooth as anything I’ve owned and shifts seamlessly while getting 27-28mpg. It isn’t the amount of gears, it’s the shift points.

I STILL say it's on Toyota & their insistence to incorporate a 6 speed auto with a v6, a v6 isn't going to have near the power band of even a low end v8, this is where **** starts to go sideways with a motor/trans. combo that can't decide what gear to be in & worse , how long should it take to get there, smart technology & TAA-DAA, the "smart" transmission that "learns" how you drive ?? Give me a ****ing break already Toyota, if your transmission is going to "learn" anything, learn to be a transmission , sorry OP, these continuing issues with the newest bell & whistle just pisses me off, Toyota surely knew the issues but dumped it off on the public anyway, Good luck with truck & corporate, you'll need it...

I got something for that, back in a minute...;)

I agree 100% that the 5 speed with the 4.0 liter is a much better drivetrain than the current. The Atkinson cycle 3.5 hasn’t had a chance to prove it’s strength and longevity yet so I can’t make a solid judgement on it.
The transmission is the problem with the current drivetrain and it’s the shift points that seem to be the main issue.
I have a Mopar with a 9 speed tranny and a 3.2 liter 6 cylinder. It runs as smooth as anything I’ve owned and shifts seamlessly while getting 27-28mpg. It isn’t the amount of gears, it’s the shift points.
Agree... and that is something they could take a page from DZ custom. It’s fixable, just a matter of the powers that be to say it’s so.

And I will add that when I was having issues with my Entune I drained the battery in an attempt to reset it. By doing so I reset the shift points.
It really does adapt to your driving habits. As soon as I drove my truck again I regretted doing that because the lunging was back and it wasn’t nearly as smooth.
After a few highway trips it’s back to normal and shifting better.
To the OP, have you tried running with the ECT engaged? It makes a noticeable difference on getting the shift points where they should be.

Agree... and that is something they could take a page from DZ custom. It’s fixable, just a matter of the powers that be to say it’s so.

Absolutely. I’m sure Toyota has employees trolling the forums and see the complaints. Hopefully they will resolve the issue in later models of the gen three. (And with programming upgrades for ours).

I’m all for lower emissions but let’s not fool ourselves these trucks never have got great MPG and all they are doing is gaining 1-2. My 1987 4x4 extra cab 4cyl 5spd got 18mpg in town and 21mpg on hwy. 2017 4cyl 6 spd gets 19 city 23 hwy. How far we have come.

Back