Transmission maintenance

jprins23

At what mileage do you guys do preventative maintenance on your transmissions? And what do you do to prolong the life of your transmissions?

Honestly I hate dealing with shops, and I don't trust those flushing machines that recycle as they dump back in contaminants.
So although dropping the pan and replacing the filter if it has one, closing it up and then adding fluid back, only changes about 1/2 -2/3 of the oil depending on the vehicle, because it doesn't drain the torque converter or valve body, i do it yearly, and then at least a bunch is fresh.
If a manual transmission i do it usually every second year since it drains most of it, and no filter, so just pull the drain plug out, go do something for an hour, come back and put plug back in and refill.
I am notorious for buying parts and fluids wherever, but when it comes to transmissions I don't, i go to the dealership and buy the expensive oem fluid so its not mixing it with whatever was already in it.

Last edited:
You can drain most of the transmission by disabling the electric fuel pump and/or the ignition and cranking the engine over when the transmission pan is off. You will remove about 2 to 3 quarts of fluid.

I could, but I don't.
My theory is that if I get out 5 liters of the 8 every year, and do it annually its pretty good.
And because I actually drop the pan and look, if it is imploding I will see the big pieces in the bottom and know to investigate further, unlike the other people too lazy to drop the pan.

Back