Transmission or TOB noise?

Rifle Builder

I just bought a 2009 Tacoma 4x4 5speed truck. 161,000 miles The truck has a whining noise when idling with the clutch out. The noise stops when the clutch pedal is depressed. The same noise increases as you go thru the gears. But progressively less as you shift up.. Could this be the throw out bearing causeing this whining noise ? I put my mechanics stethoscope on the TOB lever and the noise is the loudest there while idling. I didnt hear noise anywhere on the transmission. What doesn't make since is a bad TOB usually makes the most noise when depressed not when its not engaged. It sounds like the TOB is running on the pressure plate fingers all the time. I'm trying to determine if I have a transmission whine or TOB issue. Thanks guys

I just bought a 2009 Tacoma 4x4 5speed truck. 161,000 miles The truck has a whining noise when idling with the clutch out. The noise stops when the clutch pedal is depressed. The same noise increases as you go thru the gears. But progressively less as you shift up.. Could this be the throw out bearing causeing this whining noise ? I put my mechanics stethoscope on the TOB lever and the noise is the loudest there while idling. I didnt hear noise anywhere on the transmission. What doesn't make since is a bad TOB usually makes the most noise when depressed not when its not engaged. It sounds like the TOB is running on the pressure plate fingers all the time. I'm trying to determine if I have a transmission whine or TOB issue. Thanks guys

Whiney noise or a metal on metal type of clanky noise?

Its a whining noise , faint while idling. Stops when clutch is depressed. Whines while shifting thru the gears driving. A little less whine as you go up from 1st to 5th. Can't hardly hear the whine when you get past third gear

Its a whining noise , faint while idling. Stops when clutch is depressed. Whines while shifting thru the gears driving. A little less whine a you go up from 1st to 5th. Can't hardly hear the whine when you get past third gear

Sounds a bit different than the noise my truck had at the same mileage but sounded like metal ticking away
Toyota master tech told me it was that throw out bearing coz it went away when pedal pushed in
Unfortunately the noise on my truck was nothing of the sorts but perhaps being masked over IDK
It did end up breaking into the moving engine fan eventually :confused:

Back