TRD 3.4 supercharger with 200k miles, good or bad idea?

Paulg443

Hi, this is my first post and before you all start flaming me, here is a bit about my self. I'm 17 (18 in 3 weeks) and I absolutely LOVE toyota and Tacoma's.
I have a 2004 double cab short bed tacoma in mint condition. I have all the money for the supercharger but I just hit 200k. The engine has always been properly maintained and sometimes even more but the engine has been used to its fullest potential as (stock)
Other than a street legal K&N cold air intake. I'm not going to lie, out in the dunes it gets red lined quite a bit and is always on the top end but I am crazy about keeping the engine maintained and keeping the truck looking like it rolled off the lot.

Welcome to the site! I'm glad to see people who really do love and maintain there truck, as for the milage problem, I would do a compression test on all the cylinders, and if all seems good then supercharging could be an option. In a perfect world you would need to rebuild the engine before SCing but that's more money and alot more work. But I'm no supercharging expert so.

Thank you for the welcome!
Money wouldn't really be a problem if it is less than what the engine would cost for new or slightly used one. What would your rough estimate be for a engine re-build?

I'm not really sure, I'm just starting my first engine rebuild on a 20r. I would look up a rebuild kit for your truck. I would think between 1-2 thousand

I'm not really sure, I'm just starting my first engine rebuild on a 20r. I would look up a rebuild kit for your truck. I would think between 1-2 thousand

About 600 for a redline brand rebuild kit but with that price I'm thinking its some halfway quality kit. I'm going to swing it by the dealer and see what an OEM factory rebuild kit goes for. Thanks for the help!

Np man, there is a wide price range on rebuild kits cause they will include different stuff such as water and oil pumps, also as you said everything will be on different quality levels.

Back