TRD Sport vs SR5

bkjxn24

I was looking to buy the Double Cab PreRunner SR5 with the JBL audio, but was told that they are no longer making the 2013's, they don't have those options in Magnetic Gray (which is what I want) in a nationwide search, and the 2014 version won't have the JBL audio option for the SR5. The dealership told me I would have to get the TRD Sport if I want the JBL audio, but I will be driving 100% on highways and would assume the sport suspension would be stiff and less smooth a ride than the SR5. Is the TRD Sport ride close enough to the SR5 to make it worth settling for the TRD? Any advice would be welcome here. Thanks.

I have an SR5 but I've also driven an 09 sport and I think they drive really well on the road, not a stiff ride at all. Some dealerships offer extended test drives, which can be for 2 hours...drive the hell out of it!

My sport has the best and quietest ride I ever had in a truck. Simply awesome is all I can say. It's hard to stop grinning every time I go for a ride. :shifty:

Same suspension between the 2. The 17 inch rims may make the ride a tad stiffer. The truck isn't going to ride like an AMG Black series and it won't ride like a Cadillac. Drive both around and see what you like.

FYI.. You can't get the JBL system in a 2013 SR-5.. It is only available in the SPORT and LIMITED (this is what the local dealer told me).. It's also a $2,000 upgrade which I feel isn't worth it. I had planned to but a new 2013 like my son's truck, but made a great deal on my neighbors good as new 2005 SR-5 and saved a lot of $$$.. Plus, I know a new body and better economy motor is in the works. I want to wait and see how that comes along. Ive read where it will get almost 30mpg.. (I'll believe it when i see it) My SR-5 now has a Kenwood DDX470 DD w/bluetooth. Bought it through Crutchfield and it came with everything to install. I started with a "lesser" Kenwood but returned it for this one. I might add, it sounds as good or better than my sons 2013 Sport with the JBL.. He was even impressed. I have $350 invested! Best of all, with the provided dash panel and wiring harness, it looks FACTORY! Look into this.. As for myself, I'm really happy with this system!

Last edited:
FYI.. You can't get the JBL system in a 2013 SR-5.. It is only available in the SPORT and LIMITED (this is what the local dealer told me).. It's also a $2,000 upgrade which I feel isn't worth it. I had planned to but a new 2013 like my son's truck, but made a great deal on my neighbors good as new 2005 SR-5 and saved a lot of $$$.. Plus, I know a new body and better economy motor is in the works. I want to wait and see how that comes along. Ive read where it will get almost 30mpg.. (I'll believe it when i see it) My SR-5 now has a Kenwood DDX470 DD w/bluetooth. Bought it through Crutchfield and it came with everything to install. I started with a "lesser" Kenwood but returned it for this one. I might add, it sounds as good or better than my sons 2013 Sport with the JBL.. He was even impressed. I have $350 invested! Best of all, with the provided dash panel and wiring harness, it looks FACTORY! Look into this.. As for myself, I'm really happy with this system!

Can not go wrong with the Kenwood brand, they make awesome sound systems...:thumbsup:

Ok, I think I'll just go with the cheaper SR5 PreRunner and not the TRD, then install a nice audio system with the money I saved. Thanks for your input.

Back