Trd Sport vs Trd Off-road

What's the difference in both these models ?
They both look the same besides the wheels and hood scoop.

Sent from my iPhone using Taco Forum

2nd gen:

Offroad = Locker, 8" rear diff, progressive springs, ATRAC (09-15), 16 inch wheels and a smaller diameter sway bar.

Sport = Mechanical LSD (05-08 only) or open diff with ALSD(09-15), 8.4 rear diff, 17 inch wheels, larger diameter sway bar, color matched body parts, hood scoop and digressive springs.

Otherwise the same truck.

3rd gen = Go to Toyota's site

Last edited:
It's looks, they're both the same pretty much. If the sport is cheaper then go for it. If the off road is cheaper then go for that. There really isn't much of a big difference

So I did a TON of research on Sport vs Off-road when I got my 3rd gen. It's best to imagine they're exactly identical trucks, with only these differences:
  • Off-road has an electronic locking rear diff
  • Sport has color matched body parts such as fender flares etc.
  • Off-road gets crawl control (automatic only)
  • Off-road suspension is "configured" more for off-road driving, whereas Sport suspension is "configured" for more street driving. However, I have driven both and you really can't tell the difference unless you're really looking for it. When it comes down to it, whichever one you choose will be perfectly fine for street or off-road honestly.
  • Sport gets cosmetic improvements like the hood scoop and the air dam at the bottom. The air dam is supposed to increase fuel efficiency by 1mpg, allegedly.
  • Off-road has 16" wheels and Sport has 17" wheels.
  • Lastly the approach angle of the off-road is a bit different; the off-road approach angle is better for rocks/etc, whereas the sport is slightly more angled for fuel efficiency for street driving.
The clear winner for most in my opinion would appear to be the off-road model, as you get functional, helpful features. Whereas the Sport gets mostly just cosmetic features. That said, I got a Sport model. I did so because almost all of the "offroading features" that the off-road model gets are things that I want to add myself to improve the truck. For example, no matter which model I got, I knew I would eventually replace the suspension and lift it a bit, so that means anything related to the suspension is no longer relevant. Alternatively, the cool looking hood scoop I would have to order one from the dealership, which I knew I wouldn't do (because I don't need it and it doesn't add any functional value to the vehicle). Same goes for the color-matched body pieces. The only thing I do admit would have been nice to have is the locking rear diff. However I doubt I'll use that anytime soon, as my offroading doesn't take me rock-climbing etc. Also the crawl control isn't applicable to me because I got a manual transmission, which doesn't get crawl control. Basically, if you assume you'll change the tires, suspension, and you don't get or need crawl control, then it just comes down to locking rear diff without cosmetic improvements vs. better looking truck without locking rear diff. If I decide to add a locking rear diff in the future, I'll add an ARB air locker. Granted, my intentions may be different than others' as I drive 2 hours a day in city when I drive into the office, so I cared more about looks than the locking rear diff. Of course the best solution to all that would be the TRD Pro, which gets the hood scoop, locking rear diff, and crawl control etc, in addition to a 2" Fox lift. However, IMO that's not worth the additional $8K price tag. I'm much happier getting my Sport and then putting $8K into it myself to get exactly what parts I want etc. (although would be nice to have a lift and locking rear diff that's covered under factory warranty, I admit)

IMG_7890.jpg

I chose the sport because it had a sunroof. I was told I couldn't get the unicorn of toyotas that I wanted as the off road edition. I wanted a long bed, sun roof, 4x4, 4 door, and a hood scoop. It all came in the sport edition. I changed the tires and did some some blacking-out, but I [emoji173] it!!

I chose the sport because it had a sunroof. I was told I couldn't get the unicorn of toyotas that I wanted as the off road edition. I wanted a long bed, sun roof, 4x4, 4 door, and a hood scoop. It all came in the sport edition. I changed the tires and did some some blacking-out, but I [emoji173] it!!
I may be wrong, but I believe you can get Premium & Tech package (which is where the sunroof comes from) on either Sport or Off-road models, but you may need to search more for it, as dealerships tend to carry more Tacomas without P&T package (lowers price tag). Maybe they might have told you you couldn't get an Off-road with a sunroof, but they really meant you couldn't get it from their dealership because they didn't have one in stock? That said, you're correct about the hood scoop; it only comes on Sport and Pro models for sure.

I've got an off-road, long bed, sun roof, 4 door, 4x4. If I wanted a hood scoop I could put a sport or pro hood on. I don't want one so I found my taco unicorn in an off road. Tacorna. :)

I had mine ordered so it wasn't a dealership issue. Maybe it was the hood scoop issue? I don't know but I love it:)

Back