Truck shakes at 20 to 30 miles an hour.

Discussion in 'General Tacoma Discussion' started by Bob briggs, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Bob briggs

Bob briggs Member

2016 Tacoma off road has a shake at 20 up to 30 miles per hour. Took it to the dealership and they told me my torque Converter was bad. Then they added to it saying my transmission was shot. Vehicle was out of warranty by 15000 miles. However they did all repairs under warranty. I was very happy because that would have been $6000. When I got my truck back it ran fine and then 3 days later it started doing the same thing. I have had Tacoma trucks in the past And I have felt this shake before but they were adamant it was the transmission. I suggested that they entertain me and lift the vehicle and Greece all of the universal joints. Problem solved however I do think I will need to replace them.

texasred and OR17TRD like this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

Glad to hear they took care of you. Sounds like it was one that came with low trans fluid from factory and never got caught.

B-Man and texasred like this.
  4. OP
    Bob briggs

Bob briggs Member

Actually they told me somehow the coolant mixed with tran fluid. Faulty part. Hope this is not a trend.

OR17TRD and texasred like this.
  5. Bojangles

Bojangles Well-Known Member

Sounds like a radiator issue possibly
    Keep an eye on ur coolant level, color, and smell.

texasred, B-Man and OR17TRD like this.
  6. OR17TRD

Does it have tow package?

texasred and B-Man like this.
  7. OR17TRD

Maybe the transmission cooler is faulty and leaking into the transmission. :eek:

8. Bojangles

The trans cooler leaking into the trans would has trans fluid in the trans, major issue?

I was thinking the internal trans cooler portion of the radiator has a leak and the coolant and trans fluid are mixing.

Then maybe it is going thru the secondary trans cooler and throwing cooled strawberry milkshake around?

B-Man, texasred and OR17TRD like this.
  9. OR17TRD

That’s what I was getting at. If he has the tow package those systems are linked. Maybe there is a failure somewhere else within that system and it will happen again because that wasn’t replaced.

B-Man and texasred like this.
  10. texasred

texasred Well-Known Member

Every trans cooler I had was just a mini radiator sealed within the transmission system separate from the real radiator. No crossover to coolant at all.

Am I too old school?

B-Man likes this.
  11. OR17TRD

There shouldn’t be. But if there is a failure somewhere ??

12. texasred

texasred Well-Known Member

I gotta look at mine but is the trans cooler on a Yoda integrated with the radiator but still a separate system? I’m thinking split seam.
    I’ll see what I got after I actually get out of bed. (Night shifter )

B-Man and OR17TRD like this.
  13. Bojangles

Pretty sure it's like most other vehicles, trans fluid goes thru sep part of radiator and then if u have tow package, a secondary/standalone cooler is mounted in front of the radiator.

14. Joisey

Joisey Well-Known Member

Most of the time when the in the radiator transmission coolers fail, they leak after you shut the truck off during the hot soak, when pressure in the cooling system is highest.