Truck Upgrade This Year

dzsquared

Howdy!
Short version: want to buy a Tacoma this spring

Long version: I live in Minnesota and love compact/midsize trucks. I've had Ford Rangers for the last few years- the first one was totalled in an ice-related accident and the second one is a pretty nice truck for it's age... but, I need a truck with 2 rows of (actual) seats as my wife and I would like to start a family soon.
While my Ranger is a hefty little truck and in pretty good shape, some parts have worn out and I'm a little frustrated this winter that I've had 2 issues I didn't forsee cause me to be working out in the garage when it's well below freezing here. The engine/powetrain is solid, just other assorted issues (rear brake hardware was worn out and freezing up, front sway bar link literally sheered off). I'm more than happy to spend days working on my truck during the 6 months of the year that it's not winter here!
I think once it warms up a bit, I'm going to put one last round of love (and parts) into the Ranger- replace ball joints and the muffler so I can sell it on craigslist for a reasonable down payment on a new Tacoma. I don't know about trading it in, since I'm not in a huge hurry at this point to swap trucks, I can probably get more money through a private sale.
I've been eyeing the Tacomas for a while and have read specs and reviews about all of the compact/midsize trucks available new right now. When I first bought a Ranger I was making less than half of what I do now, so it's a very different situation now despite looking for similar qualities between a new Tacoma and my Ranger FX4. Like I mentioned I need a double cab- I also am looking for off road and towing capabilities for camping/home improvement adventures. My camper is about 2500lbs loaded plus equipment in the truck, and I love going out to the mountains. The TRD Offroad edition seems to be right up my alley, down to having the exact same tire size as my current Ranger. I definetly do not want the long bed, because I really need the truck to fit in my garage! Mods and regular maintenance are all part of owning a truck and being a hobby mechanic.

Any advice on what to look out for or features you've found you really like on the 2013-2014 Tacomas?

thanks! :whistling2:

Well the sport or offroad will work for you. I would say Sport for sure because of the LSD rear diff for the snow but Toyota dropped it in 09 in favor for a brake simulated LSD. It works alright but nothing beats the real thing. All models have this feature now. Besides the locker, ATRAC, fully painted panels, springs and sway bar, the trucks are basically the same.

I came from an 03 Ranger XLT 4.0 4wd 5 speed myself. I miss it at times but it needed a new clutch every year no matter how I drove it.

Last edited:
Good to know about the LSD, I've loved the LSD on my Ranger.

Pics of the Ranger, because I can't help myself. Awful old tires that have been replaced, but you probably get the gist.

59181-stopped-rest-area.jpg

59182-garden-gods-colorado-springs-co.jpg

Good to know about the LSD, I've loved the LSD on my Ranger.

Pics of the Ranger, because I can't help myself. Awful old tires that have been replaced, but you probably get the gist.

59181-stopped-rest-area.jpg

59182-garden-gods-colorado-springs-co.jpg

Here's my friends ranger ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1390881710.435994.jpg
He's also on FRF, you might know him as "Frito"

Yess black Rangers.

Sorry to be confused and confusing. I see that Tacoma's have electronically-controlled traction through their rear differential. This is still a huge improvement over my first Ranger, which had an open differential and nothing to go along with it. I can handle that change from my current Ranger with LSD.

Thank you for sharing the 4x4 tutorial/animation, that was both educational and extremely entertaining.

Back