Underpowered Tacoma

TacomaFan91030

I just upgraded my 2007 Tacoma Trd off-road to a 2016 Tacoma Trd sport. While I love it's new features and looks. I am extremely disappointed in the power when it is on automatic mode. It feels extremely underpowered and uses as much gas as my old Tacoma. Anybody who bought the 2016's have the same issues??? For it to have sufficient power I have to use the Ect power button and gas mileage gets worse!! And most of the time I use the tiptronic to manually shift gears to get any semblance of torque!!

Its the world we live in. It sucks, we should be able to pick from 6 different size engines. I felt the same about the 2016. The power is way at the top of the rev range,not very truck like at all. They need a "Turbo" or "Diesel" option. Try to haul 2 -KX 450 dirt bikes,extra fuel,riding gear,and 4 adults inside the truck, then try to go up a steep hill!! Truck is straining!! It definitely needs more power .

My whole life, we have been taught that large, slow turning engines producing low-end torque more more efficient than smaller high-revving ones. There is no doubt in my mind this is still true. Yet, lately, the trend is towards smaller engines even with turbos. When efficiency is the name of the game, why is this being done?

Let's say we need 250bhp to get the job done. It has always been more efficient to have a 4.0l engine make this at 5,000rpm than a 3.0 at 7,000rpm in terms of fuel economy. But, look what's going on in the industry. Ford and all the others are making these tiny engines with big turbos running high rpm's!

The answer is the government! Whenever something doesn't make sense, the cause is the government. The epa has been changing it's testing procedures in a way that favors small screaming engines. These engines get better mileage in their tests because the tests are gamed by the manufacturers. They set the parameters of the engines so that they can get through the test with using as little boost and rpm's as possible. This gives them a small, unboosted, low rpm engine as the test sees is. They then market the car to you and me with the performance figures based on the high rpm, 10 psi or more boosted results.

The problem is, you aren't going to get anywhere near the mileage the epa claims when you have that thing wound up and boosted like you will in the real world. The driveability sucks too because you have to spin the thing above 4,000rpm just to get it down the street, all the while getting half the mileage you were promised.

I noticed this with my Mustang 3.7 V6. It had 305bhp and was a rocket if you kept it wound up. But, the mileage was crap. If I kept it below 3,000, the mileage was great, but it was slower than a 1980's Rabbit Diesel. Now, they are pushing the 3.7 aside for a 2.3 turbo! They say it makes the same power and gets better mileage. It won't get either under normal conditions. You have to drive the thing like it has two engines to get one or the other. Foot to the floor and shifting at 7,000+rpm for any kind of performance, or lug and loaf around for any kind of mileage.

In 10 years, the epa will change it's testing again and we will see the big, slow turning engines coming.

Ecoboost my ass. You can eco, or boost, not both. The Taco will likely come with turbo at some point. The problem is it will be a 2.0l and we will be told it will be "better".

I drive at or above the speed limit, I heavy foot at times. I had a '14 GMC 5.3 (2wd) and got 19-20 running around local, sometimes 21 a little better than GM claims. Had to get rid of it (24k miles), in the dealership for repairs way too often. Went back to Toyota, got a '16 Tacoma, TRD sport, access, 4x4, 3.5. It seems to have as much power as the 5.3 GMC @ 5,125# dry, of course the v-6, 4x4, Tacoma's lighter. Driving the same routes as before, I'm getting 21-22, a little better than Toyota claims. So far I'm very happy with my choice.

Well said WiskyT! I agree. Also with these turbo engines repairs will be much more costly when they fail. Right up the dealers alley! I think those who bought those ecoboost powered vehicles are also starting to see widespread issues with the intakes coking up and EGR issues as well. Not good!

Last edited:
'14 GMC 5.3 (2wd) and got 19-20 running around local, sometimes 21 '16 Tacoma, TRD sport, access, 4x4, 3.5. I'm getting 21-22,

^^^ This is hard for me to understand, virtually the same mpg, 1.8L difference in engine displacement, and I bet at the GMC was a heavier vehicle as well. Ray's milage in the Jimmy is in line with other people I know with the same.
This is part of the reason it's taken me 15 years or so to step into the Toyota "small truck" world. I've wanted one for years, but couldn't justify having a "liittle" truck around that only delivered a few more mpg's but wouldn't haul a sheet of plywood. Now, I understand the other benefits, (value retention, quality, etc) but sure would like to see 25-28 mpg without putting an egg under my "go" foot.

^^^ This is hard for me to understand, virtually the same mpg, 1.8L difference in engine displacement, and I bet at the GMC was a heavier vehicle as well. Ray's milage in the Jimmy is in line with other people I know with the same.
This is part of the reason it's taken me 15 years or so to step into the Toyota "small truck" world. I've wanted one for years, but couldn't justify having a "liittle" truck around that only delivered a few more mpg's but wouldn't haul a sheet of plywood. Now, I understand the other benefits, (value retention, quality, etc) but sure would like to see 25-28 mpg without putting an egg under my "go" foot.
I think we all would. But that's not going to happen. Don't take this the wrong way but I'm sure most of us didn't buy a truck for the gas mileage.

I figure I have sufficient power but I'll be much happier when they put a diesel in the Tacoma. If you go to Mexico or Brazil that's what you'll find. I was in both places last year and Diesel is what you find in all the small trucks.

I figure I have sufficient power but I'll be much happier when they put a diesel in the Tacoma. If you go to Mexico or Brazil that's what you'll find. I was in both places last year and Diesel is what you find in all the small trucks.
They've had them in there for years. I remember seeing the 4 door overseas long before it made it to the states.

my 2014 1500, GMC SLT weighted in at 5,150#. = 151# less and my tags would have been about 1/2 the price. = Still loving my '16 Tacoma.

Go to Mexico / Brazil and buy one.

I think we all would. But that's not going to happen. Don't take this the wrong way but I'm sure most of us didn't buy a truck for the gas mileage.

I don't take it wrong, :) and I knew the mpg' going in to this deal. I just don't understand why they can't sqeek out a few more miles out of a gallon. Don't get me wrong, I'm lovin my new little truck, and am getting better mileage than my other trucks, (like 7mpg) but this little one is the smallest I have ever had (in size), and I have never owned a "car", just Jeeps, Bronco's and "full size" p/u's, all with hungry V-8's.:D (except for the jeep).

Back