Upgrade suggestions for an all stock Tacoma

Jake Nelson

Hello, I am new to this site and just recently traded in my Subaru for a 2001 Tacoma TRD. Any Suggestions on some first upgrades to the truck are welcome.

Attachments

• yota.jpg
    yota.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 50
Chrome Bull Bar or Brush Guard and a Chrome Roll Bar on back !!!and a HOOD SCOOP!

Welcome to the site! Nice looking truck, you looking for performance or cosmetic upgrades? Looks like you already have a few good mods to start with, the window visors and tonneau cover. My first upgrade was my exhaust, but its not everybody's first choice. I think a modest window tint to match the rears is a great mod to start with, makes the truck look sharp and keeps it a little private in the cab.

I'm looking for advice on some performance upgrades, I was thinking I could do the air intake and exhaust first. I was told the radiator that is in the truck right now probably wouldn't last a whole lot longer, so i am also thinking of upgrading that as well in the near future.

Intake and exhaust won't really change performance to the point where you would notice a difference. You will get a nice sound though.

I don't think anyone makes a radiator for Tacomas. You can get a custom one made though.

Last edited:
I'm looking for advice on some performance upgrades, I was thinking I could do the air intake and exhaust first. I was told the radiator that is in the truck right now probably wouldn't last a whole lot longer, so i am also thinking of upgrading that as well in the near future.

Lots of places sell Tacoma radiators, from junk yard to parts store. If you find one at a junk yard have a pressure check done.

You can find one for your yr truck right here http://www.carid.com/2001-toyota-tacoma-replacement-radiators/

They carry several different brands: Replace, CSF, DENSO and Koyorad

Hello, I am new to this site and just recently traded in my Subaru for a 2001 Tacoma TRD. Any Suggestions on some first upgrades to the truck are welcome.

Didn't say if your 4x or prerunner & it kinda depends what you have planned for it, if it's 4x the single best MOD going is the grey wire MOD, with this you can lock the rear diff in 2wdH/4wdH instead of only having access to it in 4Lo, as far as performance CAI's are more of a marketing tool SOLD as a performance MOD but as dyno's bear out little to actual LOSS of performance for 1st & 2nd gens. As far as exhaust goes, if you haven't looked at your stock muffler I urge you to do so......

Looks like a 55 gal. drum with a tailpipe doesn't it ?? haha ... A larger ,more restrictive POS I have yet to see, it's bigger than the one I had on my 1 ton PowerWagon years ago.. I run a magnaflow & it DEF. adds performance in the mid to upper RPM range, flow masters are good too but a bit over priced IMO, & sooner or later you'll want to upgrade your suspension if you offroad much, stock springs are going to crap on you eventually...

Oh yeah almost forgot, do the deckplate MOD on your stock airbox, this MOD has actual HP gain because of allowing more air into the intake plenum

Last edited:
Back