Valve Adjustment?

Dino2015

Do these 2015 Tacoms's need to have the valves adjusted every so many miles like the the Tacoma's from the 1980's and 1990's??

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm doubtful. I'll check the Gen2 Service Manual.......

Need to get the Xmas turkey onto the rotisserie and in the Weber. Then I become the thermostat control.

Why? Do you suspect a problem with the valves?

Service Manual has instructions for valve adjustment on the 1GR-FE engine, nothing for the 2TR-FE engine.. No recommendations for service interval for either engine

Last edited:
Those 20r, and 22re engines seemed to need one every 30k miles. I never did one on my 3.0 v6, that had 150k miles or my 4.7 v8 that had almost 300k. I saw my old tundra the other day in town, the rear quarter panels above the wheels has some rust bubbling through the paint, but its still running great.

is it best to catch a valve that needs adjusting BEFORE it actually is an issue
Some new shims or what have ye

I was watching a Timmy toolman Toyota time on the 3.4 5vze that I have, some T5R in California which also had bad compression nbers

It looked extremely involving but could be done if when valve cover gasket ever needs sealed again

The OP is talking about a Gen2 from 2015.

Gen2 had 2 engines. 1GR-FE (4.0 L V-6) and the 2TR-FE (2.7 L inline 4)

pretty sure the 4.0 V6 has hydraulic lifters so no valve adjustment needed on it. Not sure about the 4 banger.

What year did the 4.0L shift over to hydraulic lifters? My '06 4.0L (1GR-FE) has mechanical lifters.

What year did the 4.0L shift over to hydraulic lifters? My '06 4.0L (1GR-FE) has mechanical lifters.
They are not hydraulics, my error as they are still solid lifters that have shims that require little or no adjustment. I would be interested in finding out what the hours are to adjust the valves as they are not that same as old school lifters.

They are not hydraulics, my error as they are still solid lifters that have shims that require little or no adjustment. I would be interested in finding out what the hours are to adjust the valves as they are not that same as old school lifters.
I kinda thought they were mechanical on the Gen2 V-6. My Service Manual only covers 2005-06. There may have been a change on the later Gen2s.

The Service Manual has a very detailed set of instructions. How to measure, how to set, positions for measurement, which valves to measure in which position, how to choose the proper shims, calculations to determine shim thickness......... fairly exacting work.

I suspect its at least an 8 hour labor for a skilled mechanic. A DIYer......probably a couple days per side.

I kinda thought they were mechanical on the Gen2 V-6. My Service Manual only covers 2005-06. There may have been a change on the later Gen2s.

The Service Manual has a very detailed set of instructions. How to measure, how to set, positions for measurement, which valves to measure in which position, how to choose the proper shims, calculations to determine shim thickness......... fairly exacting work.

I suspect its at least an 8 hour labor for a skilled mechanic. A DIYer......probably a couple days per side.
Read an article that best time from dealership for valve adjust on V6 4.0L is 7 hours. But also said most motors really never need it.

Back