Vibration in Steering Wheel

orangeman

Just purchased a 2016 Tacoma TRD off roader. Have 3,000 miles on it and I'm getting an oscillating vibration in the steering wheel. Also, the automatic transmission was shifting poorly; very dogish. Brought it back to the dealer, they updated the ECM and it seemed to take care of that problem. But as far as the vibration, no one can seem to give me an answer. The mechanics have no idea what the problem is. Anyone else out there with this problem? $40,000 for a truck; what a disappointment.

When do you feel the vibration? I was getting a vibration when braking that I felt through the seat, steering wheel, and floor. It was fixed with shims between the rear axle and leaf springs.

When do you feel the vibration? I was getting a vibration when braking that I felt through the seat, steering wheel, and floor. It was fixed with shims between the rear axle and leaf springs.
Hey Taco Rick, I feel the vibration when cruising anywhere from 40 mph and over. All tires were rebalanced and realigned. I think the vibration is coming from the drive line, because I can feel a rotation in the steering column. Been to the dealership about this; still waiting for a dealer rep to come and assess the problem. Amazing...$40,000 and the dealer says "It's a characteristic of the truck." Funny...it's not mentioned on the brand new sticker spreadsheet like front and rear mudflaps (vibration in steering column) lol. Starting to feel what the Toyota feeling is all about. I'll be happy when this issue is resolved instead of going in circles with the dealership.

Just purchased a 2016 Tacoma TRD off roader. Have 3,000 miles on it and I'm getting an oscillating vibration in the steering wheel. Also, the automatic transmission was shifting poorly; very dogish. Brought it back to the dealer, they updated the ECM and it seemed to take care of that problem. But as far as the vibration, no one can seem to give me an answer. The mechanics have no idea what the problem is. Anyone else out there with this problem? $40,000 for a truck; what a disappointment.
The tires that come on that truck have been a problem for me in the past with a different vehicle. Previous to this Tacoma I bought the exact same set of tires for my other truck and I had a vibration, I brought the truck back to America's tires and they found some buckling in two out of four of the tires. I put on a different set of tires and my problem went away. I have the same tires on my new Tacoma again, in fact when I saw they came with those tires from the factory, I was pretty bummed I really did not want another set of these tires.I don't have an issue with this set however. Maybe you can get them to put another set of tires on and see if this helps. Check on the inside and outside of your tires for ballooning.

Switch tires front to back. If the front tires are defective, the vibration will either go away or change. It could be a bent wheel and this would help finding that too.

If swapping the tires around makes no difference, then you know it isn't the tires or wheels.

Tires, understand that the mechanics get paid to actually do physical work, or scratch their heads for hours. Alot of them play the system!! Lazy people!! They know what the problem is, did kid yourself

Hard to believe this would be the cause on such a new truck but when you say the vibratration includes the transmission shifting kind of poorly this has been the symptom of bad motor mounts for me in the past. Perhaps there has been a service done that would require having them loosened for access? Its possible some dumb A. didnt tighten them back down. Also any play in your drive shaft U-joints? Like I said doesnt seem likely for your truck but just throwing out possibilities for you to investigate. I hope you can get it worked out.

Hard to believe this would be the cause on such a new truck but when you say the vibratration includes the transmission shifting kind of poorly this has been the symptom of bad motor mounts for me in the past. Perhaps there has been a service done that would require having them loosened for access? Its possible some dumb A. didnt tighten them back down. Also any play in your drive shaft U-joints? Like I said doesnt seem likely for your truck but just throwing out possibilities for you to investigate. I hope you can get it worked out.
Thanks digger for the info, will be checking the motor mounts myself, least I know it was done.

Tho I am sure you have done all suggested, I had the same issue on my 13. Go to your best tire shop and have the tires road balanced rather than spin balanced. This adjusts the imperfections in the tire to the entire wheel assembly. Cured it. And I have to do it every set of tires I put on.

Thanks digger for the info, will be checking the motor mounts myself, least I know it was done.
Orangeman - Did you ever get the problem corrected? I have a new 2021 Limited and the steering wheel vibrates all the time, not severe but annoying.

If u have the means to do it yourself pull the spare and put it on each corner and then drive it each time maybe thus will single out the bad tire or bent rim .sometimes u just gotta figure it out yourself first.Could be a ply separation in one of the tires too! Jack it up and spin each tire to see if its outta round .its happened to me .good luck let us know what happens :)

Last edited:
20190406_192841~2.jpg That'll do it ! Good they found it soon ,you will love ur truck I say it every time I get in to drive ! Drives my wife bonkers LMAO:)

Back