Warranty service on 2019 Tacoma

19Tacoma

Got a brand new 2019 Tacoma Off Road model back in March of this year and wanted to give a heads up to anyone that may wonder about the warranty service. Or if they have any similar issues.

About 3 months ago, I was driving on a road going about 60 when I heard a noise from the front. I stopped and looked under the front to notice that my driver's side fender trim had come loose and was rubbing against the tire. The rivets apparently had not held it in and there is also a flap above the axle held in by 4 rivets where 2 of those had come loose as well. Took it to my dealership and they replaced the rivets and charged me for the replacement of them. Was less than $10 so no big deal. Less than a month later, driving down a road going about the same speed I had the same issue come up. Took it back to the dealership and they replaced the rivets again. This time with supposedly "better" rivets. Since I had paid for them the first time, they did not charge me. About a month later, same problem again.With each time this has happened, the tire has tore up the trim more and more to the point where it's gotten me a bit more than frustrated. Took it back in last week just after this last time happened and the dealership told me the tech found some pine straw around the spare tire in the rear. Nothing around the front where my problem is So they told me that they can not cover this under warranty due to the debris underneath. I explained to them that I live off a dirt road which does have water on it at times but have never taken it off road since I have had it. And not until now have they said anything about debris underneath. so long story short, they will not warranty the replacement of the fender well due to the debris even though they never stated such when I first started having this issue. They are now stating the damage to my tire well was not a defect even though it was as the rivets were not keeping it in place. All due to wind pulling the tire well back into the tire when going at higher speeds.

Anyone have any suggestions on how I should go about this? I bought an extended warranty on the vehicle which I am about to cancel due to Toyota not wanting to cover something from normal driving where parts are not even holding in place Also, I had a 2018 Tacoma that had issues with the front bumper not staying together as well because the plastic clips that hold it together kept popping out. Toyota would do nothing about that either but I ended up trading it in for a 2019 anyway.

I thought a bumper to bumper for the first 3 years or 36,000 miles covered everything and there should be no questions asked. Do you have a different dealership you can deal with in the future? I wouldn’t cancel the extended warranty with all the issues
3rd gens seem to still be having. I’d call corporate or talk to the general manager at the dealership and raise hell. I had to do that with the 16 I had. Ended up driving away with a 17 that has everything possible in it for about the same price. I told the general manager what had been going on and how the service dept wasn’t doing anything for the issues I was having and it was his job at the moment to change my mind about the dealership or I’d go 5 miles down the road to the other Toyota dealership and do business there. Good luck! Let us know what you end up doing and what the results are.

Do you have bigger tires and wheels installed? Lift? If its still 100% stock there shouldn't be a warranty issue. Just having it off road shouldnt be an issue if thats their only claim, it says Off Road right on the side. I guess you could sue them for false advertising.

I thought a bumper to bumper for the first 3 years or 36,000 miles covered everything and there should be no questions asked. Do you have a different dealership you can deal with in the future? I wouldn’t cancel the extended warranty with all the issues
3rd gens seem to still be having. I’d call corporate or talk to the general manager at the dealership and raise hell. I had to do that with the 16 I had. Ended up driving away with a 17 that has everything possible in it for about the same price. I told the general manager what had been going on and how the service dept wasn’t doing anything for the issues I was having and it was his job at the moment to change my mind about the dealership or I’d go 5 miles down the road to the other Toyota dealership and do business there. Good luck! Let us know what you end up doing and what the results are.

I wish there was another dealership closer but the next one is almost an hour away. I raised hell about it too but the dealership told me the only thing I could do was call Toyota Care, which I did. They told me that if the dealership stated what they did, it would not be covered under warranty.

Do you have bigger tires and wheels installed? Lift? If its still 100% stock there shouldn't be a warranty issue. Just having it off road shouldnt be an issue if thats their only claim, it says Off Road right on the side. I guess you could sue them for false advertising.

Nope. Stock tires and all on it. I told them the same thing, that it is an OffRoad model and what do I do when I decide to actually take it off road. Do I have to keep it under 30mph? No mud? LOL!

Toyota, Ford, GM, Jeep and (especially) Chrysler. Promise you the world with their warranty then refuse to honor it.

That is what I am finding out. And just from normal driving.
I had a 91 Ford pickup that was part of the paint recall. Just over 1 year old and it was missing dime and smaller size dots of paint from the hood, roof and bed rails. Brought it to my local Ford dealer after receiving the recall inspection notice from Ford. Long story short, almost two hours and the dealer determined that the missing paint areas "weren't large enough to be concerned with". Picture a burgundy pickup truck with dime size and smaller grey spots on it.

The best part was the dealer refused to give me my keys back because the brakes on my truck were in 'dangerous shape'. One year, about 9K miles and the brakes were dangerous. Best thing was I just had done my fall inspection on the truck the previous week and the brakes were at better than 90%. When I told the dealer this he had no response.

I had a 91 Ford pickup that was part of the paint recall. Just over 1 year old and it was missing dime and smaller size dots of paint from the hood, roof and bed rails. Brought it to my local Ford dealer after receiving the recall inspection notice from Ford. Long story short, almost two hours and the dealer determined that the missing paint areas "weren't large enough to be concerned with". Picture a burgundy pickup truck with dime size and smaller grey spots on it.

The best part was the dealer refused to give me my keys back because the brakes on my truck were in 'dangerous shape'. One year, about 9K miles and the brakes were dangerous. Best thing was I just had done my fall inspection on the truck the previous week and the brakes were at better than 90%. When I told the dealer this he had no response.

What did the dealership end up doing about the paint? Nothing?

What gets me about my issue is this has been going on for months, been at the dealership multiple times, and this last time they want to use the excuse that they found pine straw hung up around the spare tire in the rear. When my issue is in the front of the vehicle. If I had hit something and done damage, I wouldn't try to get it covered under warranty obviously. But having some dirt/pine straw splash up under the vehicle because I live on a dirt road shouldn't cause rivets to fall out, especially being an off road vehicle I have yet to take off road. Just ridiculous.

Here are some photos of my issue. First pic is of the trim and not the best pic but you can see where it has been damaged at the bottom from rubbing against the tire. I'll get some better pics when it's lighter outside. 2nd pic is of the flap that 2 of the rivets keep popping out and Toytota replaced, but still will not hold. There has never been any debris around this area and clearly no damage to it showing it is the rivets just not staying in place. You can also see where the trim has broken from where the rivet was holding it which is due to other rivets not holding in place and the wind pulling it back when I drive at higher speeds.

Attachments

• T1.jpg
    T1.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 54
  • T2.jpg
    T2.jpg
    369.3 KB · Views: 59
What did the dealership end up doing about the paint? Nothing?

What gets me about my issue is this has been going on for months, been at the dealership multiple times, and this last time they want to use the excuse that they found pine straw hung up around the spare tire in the rear. When my issue is in the front of the vehicle. If I had hit something and done damage, I wouldn't try to get it covered under warranty obviously. But having some dirt/pine straw splash up under the vehicle because I live on a dirt road shouldn't cause rivets to fall out, especially being an off road vehicle I have yet to take off road. Just ridiculous.

I wrote to Ford about the dealer saying the defects in the paint were too small and the scam with the brakes. Ford ignored the brake scam and said that the dealers have final say on the repainting of the trucks. I sold the truck six months later and that was my last Ford vehicle.

They're breaking your balls about that rubber splash shield? That's a new low. I thought you meant the wheel well trim.

I would write a letter to Toyota and include the pictures. Probably the holes in the frame for the push pins are too large.

They're breaking your balls about that rubber splash shield? That's a new low. I thought you meant the wheel well trim.

I would write a letter to Toyota and include the pictures. Probably the holes in the frame for the push pins are too large.

It is the wheel trim and that shield. And get this. I paid for new rivets the 2nd time I brought it in which is supposed to be covered under a 12 month warranty since the dealership replaced them. They still won't cover it. I do agree though that maybe the holes are too large and that is possibly the defect which I'd like to find out.

Good news is, Toyota care called me back this afternoon and said they will reimburse me up to $250 for the repairs. That's basically what it will cost so I won't lose any money over it. You can bet I am going to look at those rivets after it is replaced though and see how they are holding. If I find anything loose, they;ll know before I leave the dealership.

I took those push pins out when I undercoated my frame when I first bought my truck. They were HARD to remove with the correct tool. Either undersized push pins or oversized holes is my guess

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Yeah I agree they should be hard to remove to keep those parts in place. As of even now, the rivet on the bottom right of that splash guard can be pulled out with your hand as it is loose. I have shown that to the dealership, they replaced it, and it's still that way. But they say debris on the spare tire in the rear is the culprit.

Guess I should just keep my Off Road model only on paved roads and under 50mph huh. LOL!

Back