Water Pump replacement

zoomrx3

I have a 2000 Tacoma pre-runner with the 2.7 engine. The truck has 50,000 miles. I looks pretty straight forward to replace. I have been reading and getting conflicting information about the mounting bolts. Some say use thread locker or the water pump permatex sealant that I will use on the gasket. Others say use anti seize. Anyone know what I should do in this case?
My plan is to just replace the water pump and then put distilled water in and drive 10min to the dealer to have a flush or replacement of the antifreeze.

I have a 2000 Tacoma pre-runner with the 2.7 engine. The truck has 50,000 miles. I looks pretty straight forward to replace. I have been reading and getting conflicting information about the mounting bolts. Some say use thread locker or the water pump permatex sealant that I will use on the gasket. Others say use anti seize. Anyone know what I should do in this case?
My plan is to just replace the water pump and then put distilled water in and drive 10min to the dealer to have a flush or replacement of the antifreeze.

I think you are reading to much into changing the water pump. Distilled water, I hope you are kidding.:blink:

What you should do:

Go to NAPA and get one of there "Lifetime Guarantee water pumps", save your receipt!

If you are going to change it your self, take a wire brush/putty knife and clean all mounting surfaces gently, (It's aluminium) do NOT gouge surfaces!
Clean the bolt/threads gently of all crud with the wire brush, reinstall all bolts using "anti seize" on the threads with a Torque wrench to Tacoma specifications . That's it. Oh, don't skip instructions.

Never use any king of thread lock on aluminium parts, you would be asking for Trouble.

Last edited:
Do you know the torque specs. I went to toyota and they said they tighten all the bolts to 15 pounds. Reading online it says short bolts to 15 lbs and long bolts to 80lbs. I have two long bolts. I would hate to break things by torquing down to 80lbs if its not accurate. Does anyone know if this is right?

Back