Way off topic

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by MacGyver, Jan 17, 2019.

1. MacGyver

MacGyver Well-Known Member

Any gun enthusiasts here. Specifically hand gun. I have a question for you. I've taught a lot of classes for different weapons over the years and I'm curious about a myth I just ran into. When firing a hollow point round when does it expand? Throw out what you have been taught or learned in the past.

TucsonSteve and B-Man like this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Scott Wyman

Scott Wyman Well-Known Member

4. B-Man

B-Man Well-Known Member

Initial expansion is when the bullet leaves the case thru the barrel to make a good seal against the lands/grooves of the barrel......secondary expansion is when the projectile hits the target.

lcarrasco212, WooD, texasred and 3 others like this.
  5. Scott Wyman

Boo-yah!

B-Man likes this.
  6. B-Man

B-Man Well-Known Member

I love guns! LMAO

TucsonSteve and Scott Wyman like this.
  7. Scott Wyman

You're my resident expert.

B-Man likes this.
  8. B-Man

B-Man Well-Known Member

I really don't know anything about it......I make it up as I go! LMAO

texasred, OR17TRD and Crawdad like this.
  9. OP
    MacGyver

During a conversation yesterday I argued that it opens on target. The myth they were taught was it opened in the air. I am curious how many gun guys think that.

texasred and B-Man like this.
  10. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

The air has no resistance to open it. If that was the case the entrance hole should be big.

B-Man likes this.
  11. OP
    MacGyver

That's what I told them. In the air the hole forms a circle of air that actually reduces the force on the front of the round. Cops should know enough about ballistics to at least know that it doesn't open in air.

B-Man likes this.
  12. B-Man

B-Man Well-Known Member

To go even further, hollow point bullets on impact with clothing.....denim, flannel etc.....the fabric will clog the hollow point and the bullet won't expand to its full potential. I'm not an employee of Hornady nor do I advertise for Hornady but I sure like their Critical Defense rounds.....I have their Critical Defense rounds in my Glock 9mm and 45s.....they have a polymer tip in their bullets that when the bullets contact that fabric the hollow point will expand as designed.

MacGyver likes this.
  13. OP
    MacGyver

Agreed!

B-Man likes this.
  14. B-Man

B-Man Well-Known Member

Here's a good example of their 45 critical defense......

15. B-Man

B-Man Well-Known Member

Again.....I don't work for Hornady nor am I advertising for Hornady.......I just like their Critical Defense ammo line-up.

Lil G likes this.
  16. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

That’s what I carry too

B-Man and Lil G like this.
  17. Lil G

Lil G Well-Known Member

That’s what I have in my truck gun and my home gun. Hornady in my deer rifle so if the robber runs he can die tired.

B-Man likes this.
  18. B-Man

B-Man Well-Known Member

Good stuff! Amazing after the ballistic gel test how much the bullet weight was retained.

Bogunn likes this.
  19. B-Man

B-Man Well-Known Member

LMAO.......die tired........

20. OP
    MacGyver

That's what a 12ga is for.

B-Man likes this.
  21. Lil G

Lil G Well-Known Member

12 gauge are great from 0 to 40 yards.