What does it feel like owning/driving/being seen in a Tacoma versus another truck?

You might have seen my old post about "Why did you choose a Tacoma over another truck?” from last week. Thx to those who helped me out.

If not, I’m not a truck guy and was in a tight spot at work (work for an ad agency for Toyota and a newbie). I was assigned the task of explaining all the reasons why Tacoma owners picked a Tacoma over other choices — especially in “truck country” places like Texas, OK, Louisiana. As a New Yorker, didn't want to mess it up.

This forum was great. Wise and generous. I looked good. Thx again all.

People in meeting did ask me something I couldn't answer tho.

What does it feel like owning/driving/being seen in a Tacoma versus another truck? When you have what Tacoma gives you, what emotions do you feel with Tacoma that is different? They're getting the rational side but want the emotional side too.

Harder question I think. Think you might be able to put the feeling into words? I'm prob open to some smart ass comments too. He he.

Since I keep my truck pretty clean and shiny most of the time, I'm proud to just show it off and drive it around town. Not too many like mine around here. Bottom line: It feels great!

Finding the right truck, for me, is like finding the right partner. You drive a few different makes and models and then you find - THE ONE!!!!

I've had Fords, Chevys, Rams, and Hondas, but none of the felt as "right" as my Tacoma. I've never been more proud of my truck and this group of folks make ownership even better.

Finding the right truck, for me, is like finding the right partner. You drive a few different makes and models and then you find - THE ONE!!!!

I've had Fords, Chevys, Rams, and Hondas, but none of the felt as "right" as my Tacoma. I've never been more proud of my truck and this group of folks make ownership even better.

Agreed. Although this is MY first pickup I’ve driven/owned GMC, Chevy, Ford, Dodge, Honda, and Other Toyota’s (4Runner btw and loved it but it was getting long in the tooth and previous owner didn’t take great care of it). My Tacoma truly feels like The One to me. I take pride in it but not in an overbearing way. I know it’s not going to be clean all the time and it’s a truck so it’s going to get some bumps and scrapes (especially the way I use it). To your second question at least where I’m at I do notice the looks (I’d assume it’s because of my modifications though). Mainly it’s guys that look like they don’t enjoy their current ride (aka Minivan or equivalent). I’d like to add this forum is just the icing on the cake. Even though I’m not on here as much as I’d like, it’s been a great source of helpful folks and info.

For me it’s quality. I feel like my Taco was built to last. I had three Dakotas and one Nissan Frontier. The Frontier was nice and this is my first Tacoma but I feel like this is my 10 year ride. I have a 2018 and I don’t even want to think about another purchase until 2028. When I do, Taco # 2 will be coming my way. I really love seeing other Tacoma’s drive by. There are a lot of them.

I love my truck, love everything about it and Know she is pretty. I get compliments all the time (drives my wife crazy). I even got pulled over for speeding, and the police officer decided not to give me ticket. Instead he went on and on about how much he liked the truck and it was exactly what he wanted (wife’s face lol).
It’s not a crazy super car, but it is a beautiful truck that people love and want. It feels nice owning and driving a truck that you know others look at and like. As stated by others, I also drive confidently knowing that I have a good quality truck under me as well. Sure it is mechanical and things can always fail, but I know my chances of being stuck on the side of the road are much less than if I were in many other options that are out there.
Bottom line I love my truck.
Dang I am going to put out and clean and wax her right now!! She deserves it :).

Honestly I feel weird being in a smaller truck since I’ve always had full sized trucks. I wish it was a little wider inside to feel less economy like.

When I see others in Tacoma’s I always think they’re likely a nice, practical person. I’ve seen a lot of older Tacoma’s that were well kept and it shows that people really like the truck and view it as more than just an appliance.

I’m proud of my Tacoma and have had to defend a midsize truck to my family when they ask why I don’t have a “regular” truck. Owning one is a smart decision financially. I’m prob not the best person to ask to express my emotions about a truck but this is what I came up with. Good luck with your job and I hope we can all be helpful.

When I first got it I wanted to make it mine. One of a kind. Like the others said, theres alot of them out there. This to is my first mid sized truck and compared to my last full size truck it's my mini me. Now its mine and one of a kind I feel "proud" to drive it around and yes its definitely dependable. So long story short my answer is proud.

I'm happy driving my Toyota I get lots of compliments all the time my wife likes driving it she can put her mountain bike in the bed lock it ,and go meet her friends after work to ride .I'm always seeing Toyota truck owners checking it out .I've had lots of trucks being a carpenter since 1983 and for 15 yrs in Toyota's never left me stranded .20181229_122721_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Let's start with the interior.

I like the black seat covers with the orange stitching. Nicer than the leather or whatever they use.
Like the orange bezel on the dash. All trucks and cars seem to have a vertical center console. The horizontal bezel give the truck a new look...more horizontal. I also like the placement of it. Placed the full width of the dash would have been ugly.
Easy to modify. I make changes with intrepidation, but I was able to change out the speakers to Kickers, although OEM were OK.

Outside

Reliable
Good looking
Again, easy to modify.
Mileage. Not too low to turn me off.
This is the first automatic I've ever owned. I like that the shifter allows me to downshift easily. That plus ShiftSense Pro make up for negative, poor transmission shifting pattern.
With the above, good power.
Nice looking wheels
I think it rides well. Pretty stable. Although I improved it with Bilstein 5100s front and back.

The only thing I wish I had would be Apple CarPlay, which I hear is available in the 2020. But way too expensive to retrofit. I understand the reason for that.

As I look at the list, I had to make lots of modifications (some I didn't list), but the ability to do that is actually a plus for me.

Attachments

• Taco copy 2.jpeg
    Taco copy 2.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 35
It feels like home to me driving the turd, especially on dirt with wifey riding shotgun and seeing Gordo's smiling face sticking out the window in the mirror...
My Tacoma and Gordo have been to more cool places than most humans that I know... Many other vehicles I've driven came with a bit of anxiety revolving around reliability and sometimes even getting to where I'm heading but being in the Tacomas that I've had has always been relieving... just drive and enjoy the journey and scenery, not watching gages, worrying about if you brought enough or the right spare parts for the trip...
That's the best I could come up with... lol20200810_100118.jpg20200311_123122.jpg20200308_140456.jpg20191215_105602.jpg20181007_155347~2.jpg

It feels like home to me driving the turd, especially on dirt with wifey riding shotgun and seeing Gordo's smiling face sticking out the window in the mirror...
My Tacoma and Gordo have been to more cool places than most humans that I know... Many other vehicles I've driven came with a bit of anxiety revolving around reliability and sometimes even getting to where I'm heading but being in the Tacomas that I've had has always been relieving... just drive and enjoy the journey and scenery, not watching gages, worrying about if you brought enough or the right spare parts for the trip...
That's the best I could come up with... lolView attachment 31475View attachment 31476View attachment 31477View attachment 31478View attachment 31479
Amazing pix!

As there are a jillion Tacoma's out on the highways, and mine went stealth the first night in my garage (took off all stick on badging) I like the anonymity of it while enjoying all the perks. My truck blends into the background.

I grew up in pickup trucks. After my time in the gun club I got a job working 75 miles from home and had to get a commuter....... that lasted 25 years. When the time finally came and I could put myself back into a pickup- the Tacoma was the only one for me. There is no competition. The big 3 have quality issues that they just won’t stand behind. What’s left, Nissan? Thank you, no.
BTW- had I been in the market for a full size truck- I’da got a Tundra

When I owned my Tacoma, it felt like just driving anything else. Now with the Runner I feel a bit of "pride" but because I love the damn thing, not because I feel that it's better than anything else. I live in a wealthy area so there's always something more expensive anyway but I know those people don't enjoy their vehicles

Back