What have you broken offroading?

akaryanreynolds

Master Debator
Thought we could have a thread on all the mishaps that happen when were not on pavement and advise (if any) that could be shared from each "learning" experience.

Got stuck in a deep rut, advise always have a spotter on tight trails!!

I put a $900 scrape in my door.

0724001610.jpg

I think it happened here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pDL61TyXwE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

That's it so far.

Put a huge smash on my pass rear door (no spotter) ended up being a branch that was stuck in the bushes. Highest est from a body shop was 2200$ I ended up taking it to the local LineX shop and he repaired the smash then LineX'ed the quarter panels all the way around. Cost $850

HA HA....well basically everything....their is not one sigle thing i have not replaced, repaired or just cut off and installed new on my truck...yes including the cab and chassis...HA HA HA

I don't do extreme wheeling. I 4wheel to get to places I want to go...not for the sake of 4wheeling. So I try to be careful and avoid the knarly stuff as much as I can. However...I've tore all four mudflaps off...and ripped the trailer lights socket off. Scrapped up the rear bumper...and beached the front end on a boulder.

picture.php

picture.php

I got this $1600 dent along with a crushed tail pipe, scratched rim, tore up tire, and scratched rear bumper

ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1367285430.966794.jpg

From this fun day

ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1367285488.815918.jpg

So this $60 spacer ending up shearing all the wheel studs off, then trashing the whole hub off the solid front end of my yota

Attachments

• 1367295344664.jpg
    1367295344664.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 57
Just on the tacoma...

Cracked rims, cracked transmission xmember , broken cv joint, 2 torn CV boots, 3 rear stock bumpers, 1 front stock bumper, front wheel bearing, 2 tires sidewall cuts, exhaust pipe, driveshaft, 2 rear passenger doors dented, one fixed at body shop, second one still damaged, passenger side rocker panel damage from front passenger door to rear passenger door , both bed sides damaged/ dented, ABS sensor, cracked tail lights , all four fender flares torn off..:blink:

Let's not forget cracked/torn welds on front suspension lower and upper arm mounts

Last edited:
Just on the tacoma...

Cracked rims, cracked transmission xmember , broken cv joint, 2 torn CV boots, 3 rear stock bumpers, 1 front stock bumper, front wheel bearing, 2 tires sidewall cuts, exhaust pipe, driveshaft, 2 rear passenger doors dented, one fixed at body shop, second one still damaged, passenger side rocker panel damage from front passenger door to rear passenger door , both bed sides damaged/ dented, ABS sensor, cracked tail lights , all four fender flares torn off..:blink:

Let's not forget cracked/torn welds on front suspension lower and upper arm mounts

and still a DD!...Hell Yeah!!!:thumbup:

Nothing too serious.

Annihilated my alignment... Twice :eek: but good thing for lifetime alignment :D so repairs are free!

Threw off my steering position sensor
which triggered ABS, Brake, VSC, and Slip lights to come on. Dealer reset sensor free, good to go.

Took a chunk out of my sidewall, but no flat and no cables showing so tire is still good and safe.

Dented front skid.

Hit a rut super hard and tore the rear main seal. Dealer fixed under warrant for free. That was a several thousand dollar job too! Had to drop the tranny for it. That actually just got fixed yesterday.

That's about all I can think of.... :cool:

ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1419939887.388326.jpg
Broke a long list of things when this happened, not to mention personal things (mental/emotional). Air bag went off, but never touched it because the seat belt seized on me and my lower back took most of the beating... Damn you, tree!!!

ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1419944883.673958.jpg
My 6' friend holding the branch that popped up while driving on a basic trail. It got wedged above the rear axle and seemed to be stuck pretty well. I did a quick spot check for damage and didn't notice anything...
ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1419945456.496621.jpg
...until the following day when I saw this little heartache while washing my once-pristine Taco.

My advice: Either remove the trailer wiring harness if it isn't needed or tuck that bad boy away near the spare and tape/zip-tie it to something like I did (after the damage was done, of course). Dang it!!

Back