What have you done to your Tacoma today?

Ripped out my stereo, A/C vents, HVAC unit, painted all flat black with a Matte Clear Coat to finish. I really don't like chrome. Had to disassemble the stereo just to get the faceplate off :whistling2:

I'll post pics when I reassemble & reinstall.

HVAC done...before & after

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 78
  • S1050400.jpg
    S1050400.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Ripped out my stereo, A/C vents, HVAC unit, painted all flat black with a Matte Clear Coat to finish. I really don't like chrome. Had to disassemble the stereo just to get the faceplate off :whistling2:

I'll post pics when I reassemble & reinstall.

HVAC done...before & after

Looks good byrd :thumbsup: ..im always afraid of breaking something if i wanted to do that :sad:

Didn't break anything, but lost a clip when I pulled out the vents. A .89¢ clip 1 of 10. When I pulled it out I heard it fall into the dash. Couldn't find it. Not a big deal. Have the radio half reassembled as of now, got tired and crashed for a couple hours. Talk about a lot of tiny screws. :laughing:

Must be my lucky day just called the dealer, Chris said he has 9 in stock. :thumbsup:

Just got back from getting my clip 88¢ total price, Chris shaved a few pennies off :thumbsup:
I also p/u a couple bulbs for the HVAC unit since I'm tired of having to tap it to get one side to light up. Started acting up about a month ago. All better now! Now to finish off putting this stereo back together and put it all back together.

Done :thumbsup:
Before & after pics!

Attachments

• 6308157009.jpg
    6308157009.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 76
  • S1050401.jpg
    S1050401.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Didn't break anything, but lost a clip when I pulled out the vents. A .89¢ clip 1 of 10. When I pulled it out I heard it fall into the dash. Couldn't find it. Not a big deal. Have the radio half reassembled as of now, got tired and crashed for a couple hours. Talk about a lot of tiny screws. :laughing:

Must be my lucky day just called the dealer, Chris said he has 9 in stock. :thumbsup:

Just got back from getting my clip 88¢ total price, Chris shaved a few pennies off :thumbsup:
I also p/u a couple bulbs for the HVAC unit since I'm tired of having to tap it to get one side to light up. Started acting up about a month ago. All better now! Now to finish off putting this stereo back together and put it all back together.

Before & after pics!
Wow Byrd looks sick!

Before & after pics!

Looks good man, how much of a pain was replacing the lights on the HVAC controls?

Looks good man, how much of a pain was replacing the lights on the HVAC controls?

The bulbs are easy to replace, just don't get them at the dealer. I got raped for $17 for a tiny little bulb. I know you can get them online for a few bucks a piece.

The bulbs are easy to replace, just don't get them at the dealer. I got raped for $17 for a tiny little bulb. I know you can get them online for a few bucks a piece.

You can get them at http://www.superlumination.com/74.htm it takes the T4 bulb, only issue with getting them there is shipping cost. They run $1.99 each there.

Standard Flat Rate 5-10 Business Days $4.50
Rush Delivery 3-7 Business Days $5.50
Priority Mail 2-6 Business Days $8.00
UPS / Fed EX Ground 5-7 Business Days $13.50
UPS / Fed EX 2 Day 2-3 Business Days $23.50
Express Mail 1-2 Business Days $30.00 :eek:

Other places sell them online as well but like I said add shipping cost.

Another place you can order from is http://www.villagetoyotaparts.com/default.aspx their price is $ 8.11 plus Shipping & Handling (KS, USA):
$ 15.95 Total $ 24.06 for 1 bulb :thumbdown:

I got 2 at the dealer (in stock) for $9.47 each no waiting Part # 84999-10090 now I have a spare. Total was $20.61 with tax.

Before & after pics!

hey byrd ..have you ever thought of changing out your stock cd player /radio for another brand..just curious :)

Before & after pics!
looks awesome byrd..a job well done :thumbsup:

hey byrd ..have you ever thought of changing out your stock cd player /radio for another brand..just curious :)

Not really, this one plays just fine, it's a Panasonic. Having a stick I like hearing the engine for my shift points. So don't really crank it up anymore than I need. This one when I found the part number on it I checked out the cost of it at the stealership. $1500. :eek:

The money I would spend to upgrade I'd rather spend in other areas of the truck 1st, maybe down the road I might, depends.

Bought me a new shifting rod!ridiculous price though... 166$. From Toyota. No where Else had them.Can't wait to put it in and be able to drive her again. Get it tomorrow!!!!

Started my gear oil changes today. Did the easiest one 1st, Transfer Case. Oil was clean looked almost new. The tough one will be the manual transmission, fill plug is on drivers side with not much of a gap between it and the front driveshaft. Drain plug is on bottom, which is a piece of cake.
I'll drive it to work and back and then decide on which to do next. Transmission, front or rear differential. I'll do one at a time and then drive it to see if I hear anything out of place.
Front Differential I can leave my skid plate on, have access to both fill & drain plugs.

Glad we finally got some sun and decent temps. But, calling for more rain the next 2 days, so we shall see.

Did the hoseclamp tailgate anti theft thing. Whoever thought of that is a genius, even scooped the hoseclamp from work for the bubble. Will do the trick til i get the pop n lock that fits the b/u cam.ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1367978260.500881.jpg

You might want to add the washers to the cables for added security. Takes a T40 Tork bit which I keep in the cab so if I need to take the tailgate off for some dumb reason I can.

Attachments

• S1050402.jpg
    S1050402.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 57
I went to Ace hardware and got one I think it's 1/2~3/4". I just took the bolt in and used it to get one that would fit and was big. Used blue Loctite on bolt since you can't tighten them down all the way or the cable will bind. And greased it enough so cable will move.

I also used a Key Hose clamp 3/4"~1 3/4" keep the key in the cab as well. got that at Advanced auto for like $3 for 2 clamps and 6 keys, uses the same key so I don't have to worry about losing one. I then used heat shrink tubing on the clamp so not to scratch the paint.

Last edited:
Back