What is "Mica" paint?

tacomalimited

2018 dcsb mgm limited 4x4
Does anyone know what "mica" means? As in silver streak mica, magnetic gray mica..... My truck is silver streak "mica"but it looks silver metallic. What's "Mica"?

Mica......I know what it is, how to explain. It's a mineral to begin with.

Description: any of various minerals consisting of hydrous silicates of aluminum or potassium etc. that crystallize in forms that allow perfect cleavage into very thin leaves; used as dielectrics because of their resistance to electricity.

How said rock looks:
6D5E6-mica.png

If you look closely at your paint if it has mica in it, like mine desert sand mica, it looks like lots of little mirrors with light reflecting in all different directions.

Example:

BurialMica.JPG

Not like metallic flake:

BlackMetalFlake-05.JPG

Thank you for your explanation. I'll have to take a closer look at my paint again, because to me, it kinda looks just like my girlfriend's metallic black car, only silver. Someone told me that mica paint will make your car/truck look like a different color from certain angles.Maybe if my truck was a darker color, I would notice it more.

Thank you for your explanation. I'll have to take a closer look at my paint again, because to me, it kinda looks just like my girlfriend's metallic black car, only silver. Someone told me that mica paint will make your car/truck look like a different color from certain angles.Maybe if my truck was a darker color, I would notice it more.

Your welcome and that is true about it looking different in certain light and angles. If you go to my garage and scroll down you will see pics that the color does look different depending on time of day and how much sunlight there is.

When I bought my truck in Jan I had a short window to buy so didn't really get a chance to shop for a color, but did get what I wanted in drivetrain. 4.0 V6, 6 speed manual, 4x4, Mechanical LSD rearend was a bonus. Low mileage it had 46k and Access Cab. Toyota bought my PreRunner back at the end of Dec due to frame rot, so not having transportation after they took the free loaner back (3 weeks) really sucked, I had to rent for 10 days while waiting for their check to clear my bank. I had the truck on hold by then with $500 down. Paid in full once check cleared and drove off. They wanted me to finance I said no f'in way. I was not paying finance charges on top of the sale price. They weren't happy I told them to piss up a rope on their financing plan. It was a Hyundai stealership.

Also one thing about my color is it hides dirt really well. You can see it up close but from a distance you can't. The color has grown on me, I kinda like it now that I got rid of most the chrome.

Back