What is the dealer book rate for a comprehensive timing belt replacement?

bsb001

At the beginning of the week I posted my story of having a timing belt break on my 2003 Tacoma. I've been working on it all week now, running into problem after problem caused by the last mechanic to have worked on my truck. I'm in the finial leg of getting this done now, and should be driving it either late today or tomorrow, depending on other things I must take care of around the house as well.

I was wondering what the shop rate is for a certified mechanic at a dealership to do a full timing belt replacement including the following (how much time the mechanic will get paid for doing the repairs, as they get paid by the book time - not the actual time it takes them to do the work):

1) New crank seal
2) New cam seals
3) New idler pulley
4) New tensioner
5) New tensioner pulley
6) New timing belt
7) New water pump and thermostat
8) Inspect and fill automatic transmission fluid level (as the radiator was out to make room to work)
9) Inspect and fill radiator fluid level

Just for reference, for my timing belt job, I had to remove (in order of how I remembered them, not the actual order of removal):

1) The grill
2) The radiator shroud
3) The radiator, and hoses
4) The AT lines to the radiator
5) The AC pump (Only from the bracket - keep the hoses on, and pull aside)
6) The AC pump to engine bracket
7) The top and lower timing belt cover
8) The metal back timing belt cover
9) Both cam pullies
10) The harmonic balancer
11) The crank belt pully
12) The AC, PS and the Alt belts
13) The timing belt (well actually, it was already broken)
14) The idler pulley
15) The tensioner pulley
16) The tensioner
17) The crank timing belt pulley
18) The crank seal, and both cam seals
19) Passenger side wheel (to give access to the AC pump and bracket)
20) Front (engine) rock shield
21) Water pump, thermostat, and thermostat water inlet tube
22) Fan, and fan clutch

If anyone has access to a dealer repair shop manual and can look this up for me, that would be awesome. Thanks!

I don’t have access to one but I’d say $1000 at dealer, $600-800 at a local shop depending on the shop. $300-400 in parts for DIY.

About $300 for all of the parts if you go to eBay...

And about 8 hours work if it's your first time, about half that if you've already done it.

Back