what's the worst a mechanic has screwed up on your truck?

2004prerunner

dropped off my prerunner tuesday just to replace a crankshaft seal, got a call yesterday and was told they broke the flywheel so itd be another day. wasn't worried bc it's a mechanic my family has been using for years. went to pick it up today, drove it for about 5 minutes and noticed a constant ticking noise any time i'd accelerate (kinda like how a card sounds on the spokes of a bicycle wheel). drove it back and you'll never guess.. flywheel #2 was cracking! again! flywheel #3 will be in my taco saturday and i'm crossing my fingers they figure out what they did when they were taking out the transmission that is making this happen. also hoping the damage is limited.. 5 days worrying and without my truck is 5 days too long :'(

I went to a Toyota dealer expecting perfect service on my 2013 Tacoma Automatic Transmission Flush with the Toyota Techs,Training, special Tranny Flush tools and equipment and software as required by Toyota on WS Trannys , they screwed up,underfilled by 2.2 qts. went to dealer right after flush a few days later from intermittent slip, bump, felt like if hit from behind,TSP states to R&R Complete Driveline,so,I got all new drive shafts,ujoints, carrier bearing and slip yokes at 47,000 miles, still did the same **** ,kept going to dealer fo next 3 -4 months, I went old scool and drained to check the tranny pan for fluid level,no dipstick model, only 1 qt came out,not 3.2 as required and in specs books, I refilled with 3.2 qts and retourqed all plugs and bolts,no leaks still, runs as good as new, it was under filled by 2.2 qts the whole time, thank GOD for AMSOIL ATF Signature Series WS compatable Fluid. Walah, dealer returned the full price I paid for my AMSOIL Tranny Flush for there mistake ! Patience and discussion in a calm but I am a 37 year trained Diesel Tech and heavy equipment tech,NO B.S. Please ! It worked !labor ,oil and more for my problems and I got a Free Driveline from there stupidity !

It wasn't on my taco, on my old 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe I paid a mechanic to replace a axel and new A/C compressor; he did a crap weld job on the axel and used a A/C compressor he got from a salvage yard. He had the balls to charge me for new and hoping I wouldn't find out.

It's been awhile, so I don't remember details. I took my 1985 K1500 Jimmy (GMC) to the local Chevrolet dealer due to a suspected faulty wheel bearing (don't ask my why I took it to the Chevy dealer). Two days after I got it back (funky sound no longer there at my left front wheel) I noticed that they forgot to install the main washer for my drivers side hub. I only noticed because this was the type you had to manually lock the front hubs for 4x4 and I had to look right at it. I was pissed and took it back to have them replace the missing part for no charge. No long term effects for the next few years I owned the truck due to the fact that I found the problem quickly.

Update. Took my 2015 in for the 5k maintenance on the 10th to the local Toyota dealership. Drove it until the 19th and decided to check the fluids for a road trip. I didn't have to reach far to reach the oil dipstick because it was sticking out of it's hole about half way. No harm no foul since I didn't seem to lose any oil. I will be letting them know today.

If awards are being given, I believe i"ll be on the podium!! Completely True story.
I took my 2011 Ford Econoline 350 with a 6.8 Triton V10 to get a routine oil change at around 20,000 miles.
All good left.
2 weeks later Iam doing 85 on the freeway and the dash lights up like a Christmas tree. I noticed the oil pressure gauge drop to 0. At first i thought it was a electrical problem. Kept driving, figured it was still under warrenty so Oh well. I kept driving, then a lound Ticking noise started coming from the engine compartment. Kaboom!!! Engine locked up, blew!!! I almost crashed because i lost all power!! No breaks or steering. Kinda hard to stop 12,000lbs with no power breaks. Waited 2 hrs for a tow. Ling story short, it was discovered that a Latex glove was stuck up against the oil pump!!! Lost van for 2 months while waiting for new engine. I was told the mechanic likes to remove his latex gloves and use it as a condom over the end of the funnel! This keeps excess oil from dripping onto work bench while hanging. So when the tech put the funnel in the oil fill port, he forgot to remove the glove. Essentially it got pushed into the engine while adding 7qts of oil. If i was able to watch the mechanic work on my van this would have never of happened!! Damm insurance companies!! Ok , So do i win the prize?

If awards are being given, I believe i"ll be on the podium!! Completely True story.
I took my 2011 Ford Econoline 350 with a 6.8 Triton V10 to get a routine oil change at around 20,000 miles.
All good left.
2 weeks later Iam doing 85 on the freeway and the dash lights up like a Christmas tree. I noticed the oil pressure gauge drop to 0. At first i thought it was a electrical problem. Kept driving, figured it was still under warrenty so Oh well. I kept driving, then a lound Ticking noise started coming from the engine compartment. Kaboom!!! Engine locked up, blew!!! I almost crashed because i lost all power!! No breaks or steering. Kinda hard to stop 12,000lbs with no power breaks. Waited 2 hrs for a tow. Ling story short, it was discovered that a Latex glove was stuck up against the oil pump!!! Lost van for 2 months while waiting for new engine. I was told the mechanic likes to remove his latex gloves and use it as a condom over the end of the funnel! This keeps excess oil from dripping onto work bench while hanging. So when the tech put the funnel in the oil fill port, he forgot to remove the glove. Essentially it got pushed into the engine while adding 7qts of oil. If i was able to watch the mechanic work on my van this would have never of happened!! Damm insurance companies!! Ok , So do i win the prize?
Holy crap crap the gvw is only what 8000 pounds? Little over loaded aren't we?

ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1451563991.410142.jpg
I randomly weighed my truck at a scrap yard yesterday. I know it's got nothing to do with this thread ! Then put my fat 278 lbs ass in and demo tools Daily Driving with 6,000 plus in a taco!! Sears tech in Scranton, PA 1991 installed new rotors and pads up front. Only put one lug nut on ! I left made two right turn wheel / tire snapped 3 lugs off . Driving on 3 wheels almost flipped it! HaHa!

Eh... I've been about 6000 lbs over on a commercial delivery truck, you just gotta hit the brakes a little sooner
What would you do if you were pulled over, or someone pulled out in front of you? Eh slam on the brakes and plow through them because you thought it was ok to be 6000 pounds over?

What would you do if you were pulled over, or someone pulled out in front of you? Eh slam on the brakes and plow through them because you thought it was ok to be 6000 pounds over?

When your over that much you stay a few under the speed limit and keep a **** load off distance in front of you... As for getting pulled over, if you doing nothing wrong you won't get pulled over

Where do you live? So I can stay clear of the roads you drive on.

Houston, but it's not like I run overweight all the time, it's actually not even twice a year... And generally it's only a couple hundred over. When I was 6K over it was only a 3 mile drive and I had to get the entire load there in < 10 min... So I did what I had to do....

Vehicle stability is a bigger issue than tickets or braking with overweight vehicles. Your odds of getting a ticket in a small commercial vehicle are slim to none. Do vehicles under 10,000 GVWR even have to pull into weigh stations and are they even subject to roadside inspections?

Try making an emergency lane change when you are that overweight as a percentage of the vehicle's rated load and you're going to roll right over.

30 years as a plumber, never had an accident in any of my work vans. It's how you drive, and knowing your vehicle.Handling,stopping,acceleration characteristics. Won't see me flipped over on the side of the road on a perfect day(weather) And I don't use my phone while driving.

Back