Wheel bearings or drive axle???

helimike

Hi.

I have a 2009 Tacoma 4x4 TRD. I'm wonder if anyone out there has had any experience with noise coming from the front end? I can hear a low "growl" coming from the front end when I drive. The noise changes with wheel speed but does NOT change when cornering or going into 4 wheel drive. I'm sure there is a bearing going somewhere but I am not sure if it would be the drive axle or a wheel bearing. I crawled under the truck and the is some play in the drive axle but I don't know if that is normal. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I had a front wheel bearing go out last year, it turned out to be the opposite side of where I thought it was, it would go away whenever I would turn the wheel hard to one side, I ended up replacing the entire hub assembly

I'll try that. Thank you.
Sounds like it could be a wheel bearing. My 09 sport 4×4 had a similar issue. It turned out to be my driver side front. I bought the hub assembly from blue pit bearing and changed it out in my driveway.

Thanks. I'm leaning that way too but I was thrown off the play in my drive axle. It "clicks" when I pull on the outer drive axle shaft. I wasn't sure if that was normal.

Back