Wheels and Calipers

Why bother touching up when real paint will last longer? If you are going to keep it black then make it permanent.
Most wheel paint can and will chip just like plasti dip. Consumers choose plasti dip for it's for its price and ease of use. Obviously powdercoating is more durable, but you will be paying about 10 times as much. Plasti dip is not for everybody, but it's cost effective for people on a budget.

Most wheel paint can and will chip just like plasti dip. Consumers choose plasti dip for it's for its price and ease of use. Obviously powdercoating is more durable, but you will be paying about 10 times as much. Plasti dip is not for everybody, but it's cost effective for people on a budget.

At 5ish a can it's about the same price as a decent spray paint. Also with all the prep work to get derp to work properly you might as well use paint. It simply doesn't make sense to use it if you want something permanent.

Last edited:
At 5ish a can it's about the same price as a decent spray paint. Also with all the prep work to get derp to work properly you might as well use paint. It simply doesn't make sense to use it if you want something permanent.
Lol the prepwork for dip has a few less steps than spray paint. Clean your rims...then paint(you don't even have to remove the wheels). I understand your point you are trying to make, but I'll stand by its practicality.

My 2¢ is I used real paint for my rims. I also used derp for my emblems. The derp was ok for them however, having 4 coats of derp on them and once you get any peel you have to peel it all off or you will have uneven layers. The derp is fine for the emblems since your working with a small area.

For the rims different story. I've had mine painted for 7 months now and only had one small chip the day after I painted, easy fix. Reason of chip, paint wasn't cured yet. Since then I have wheeled, drove down gravel roads, rain, mud, summertime heat and no chips, rims look great still.

As a matter of fact I just went outside and took this photo. Still look good.

Attachments

• wheel.jpg
    wheel.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 24
I would go with 6 coats or more for protection against rock chips if using the derp. Also, let it cure a few days before driving.

When I painted my rims I used in this order:
2 coats self etching primer (rust-oleum)
4 coats semi gloss black (rust-oleum)
3 coats rust tough flat black enamel (krylon)
3 coats matte clear coat (rust-oleum)

Been holding up well since spring, winter will be the big test. Good Luck!

Edit:
Also my rims are steel w/plastic center piece. Yours look to be alloy so not sure how that will hold up. The derp might bite into the alloy better than it would steel.

Last edited:
Hey Byrd. I was gonna go with 6 but saw that I wouldn't have enough. I think I went just a tad too heavy with the glossifier because I see a tiny bit of pitting. Maybe the 2nd coat of gloss will cure this. I'm sure not gonna peel anything off, now.

Hey whip. I read some where that if properly applied, dip will last 3 years

My 2¢ is I used real paint for my rims. I also used derp for my emblems. The derp was ok for them however, having 4 coats of derp on them and once you get any peel you have to peel it all off or you will have uneven layers. The derp is fine for the emblems since your working with a small area.

For the rims different story. I've had mine painted for 7 months now and only had one small chip the day after I painted, easy fix. Reason of chip, paint wasn't cured yet. Since then I have wheeled, drove down gravel roads, rain, mud, summertime heat and no chips, rims look great still.

As a matter of fact I just went outside and took this photo. Still look good.
How did you get the center red?

I hope you let the derp cure 1st before using the glossifier. I didn't know they made this stuff and just read the info on it.

PRODUCT OVERVIEW

Plasti Dip Glossifier provides a glossy, polished finish when apply over cured Plasti Dip. Plasti Dip Glossifier is removable with the original Plasti Dip when ready to return to the original surface. Change the look of any Plasti Dip project with the Glossifier.

As for the red emblem on the centercap, that was no fun. However, I used play-doh. 1st I cut the bottom off a solo cup placed it over the emblem area and sprayed the red paint, 2 coats. Let it dry over night. Then put play-doh in the emblem area since it was recessed. Painted the centercap black using the paint I used for the rims and let it dry to touch and then took out the play-doh before it hardened. Afterward I sprayed 3 coats of matte clear coat. Took 3 times to get it right.

I would use a 2nd coat of the glossifier it would be like the matte clear coat I used. The more coats you have on each tire the better it will hold up to rocks.

Last edited:
I had to learn the hard way. I'm not crazy about plasti dip. I'm gonna have my wheels powder coated. Matte black, satin black or hi gloss black. I'm leaning towards satin black. What do you guys think???

Just trying to save you some money, but unless you are doing some hardcore wheeling or something powder coating is a little un necessary. If you just painted them by yourself with spray paint it would be way cheaper and work just as well.

Just trying to save you some money, but unless you are doing some hardcore wheeling or something powder coating is a little un necessary. If you just painted them by yourself with spray paint it would be way cheaper and work just as well.

I can get them powder coated for 300 dollars. I found this out a few days ago when I was getting ready to buy some etching primer and gloss black spray paint. Because of the physical labor I expended doing this second rate plasti dip job, 300 bucks sounds like a good price. However, if I thought I could do a good job with the spray, I'd go that route instead

Back