Where is the 4x4 controller located

Onewyr

My 4x4 just started trying to engage by itself. And it did it to the previous owner so where can I find the controller so that I can replace it.

When the 4x4 is engaging I hear a bunch of clicking like a relay coming from the passenger side of the truck then it engages so it is an electrical issue I just need some guidance on locating the clicking noise and maybe some help trouble shooting it

Pull the glove box out. It may be back there.

As far as the 4wd issues go, it could be the problematic ADD actuator on the front diff. I'm assuming you have a manual J shifter on the floor for the 4wd.

Correct. Sorry I'm typing on a phone so I type as little as possible. Currently the dash light says the diff is engaged but I pulled the fuse for the 4x4 to keep the controller from telling it to engage and disengage repeatedly

ok so i put the fuse back in yesterday and 4x4 worked fine. Then on the way home while in 2wd i heard a bunch of chatter from the passenger side of the cab and all of a sudden my dash light started flashing and then BOOM i felt a jerk then it released again. so i pulled over and pulled the fuse again. What would cause the controller to tell the front diff to engage while in 2wd? the previous owner had the same problem and ended up destroying his front diff gears. Help me out please this is the only issue im having trouble figuring out. Some one had mentioned the ADD actuator but i have a hard time believing that the actuator would try to engage on its own while in 2wd.

You didn't mention any of that before so I just threw ideas out there. Sounds like the switch on the shifter is bad or maybe the linkage is loose and enough to make the ECU think you shifted into 4wd.

Ok so I finally got around to pulling the front diff actuator, now my problem is that it is a vacuum actuated diff not a motor driven diff the only electrical connections are what I assume to be the switch telling the computer that it is locked. Any other ideas what would be causing the diff to engage when ever it wants to?

and something else im noticing while scanning through the actuator troubleshooting page my actuator was on the rear side of the axle not on the front like in the other page. is this correct? did they change axles at some point in production?

Back