Whine at start up

Vypr

Hi guys,
I have a brand new 2015 Tacoma 200 miles on it and the last couple days on start up I hear a whine. The best way to describe it would be like when a power steering pump is going out. It does go away after it warms up and is driven. I get no jerking in the wheel or physical signs of a power steering pump failure. I cannot pin point the exact location either.
I guess my question is, is this a normal sound for a Tacoma? Or should I take it in? This is my first Tacoma and since I've always wanted one I want it to be perfect.

Is it a whine or is it a high-pitched squeal that you also hear when you shut it off? If it's the squeal, that's your smog pump. Absolutely normal...

Now I'm no mechanic, but I'll take a beer and look at your truck anyway...

I do hear a spooling down sound when I shut it off. I wouldn't classify it as a squeal. More of a high pitched whine. I bet that is what I'm hearing. I'm used to driving my sti everyday and that has a loud exhaust. The taco is so quiet!

ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1428860751.976036.jpgI have a loud exhaust, but I also have good ears and can hear the smog pump errday... Let us know if it turns out to be something else

Now I'm no mechanic, but I'll take a beer and look at your truck anyway...

Pretty sure its the smog pump. It has to vacuum shut and takes about 10-15 seconds when started and then after you shut it off, the vacuum releases, it took me a little while to figure that out as well, lol

Dude i have a 2012 tacoma same exact thing man , i have no idea what it is, please let me know, i thought it was the ac so i left it off and it still does it, someone told me that it was panty dropping mode kicking in lol

My 2014 does the same thing, like a kind of fan whine turning off and on, since it was brand new too, so I'm guessing normal

I just bought a 2015 trd pro and does the same thing its like a bad power steering pump noise only does this cold goes away after a couple of minutes took it to dealer they compared it with other 2015 tacomas and all had same noise they say its a factory defect nothing to worry about just have to live with it

Back