Whining transmission?

ndisc35

Just bought an 07 single cab 4x4 2.7 5 speed manual. Brand new frame, lines, leafs, LCAs, and steering U joint! However, i notice a slight whining noise. Almost like a supercharger. It goes with engine speed, but only when in gear. If in gear, clutch in and rev, there is no whine. Are these transmissions known to be noisy?

This may not apply or help. I've never owned a newer manual toyota. I use to buy, fix, detail and sell a lot of the toyota pickups and 4runners in the 80's and early 90's all 4x4, 5spd, 22re. When purchasing them one of the things I would do to check the transmission is:
1. Turn engine on
2. Engage E brake
3. Put the transfer case in neutral
4. Hold clutch in
5. Put truck into 1st gear
6. Slowly release clutch
7. Listen to how it sounds
8. Repeat this process throughout 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th gear
That was for the 5 spd.

I've walked away from a few because 3rd or 5th gear would whine and grind and sound awful. Those gears seems to be the most used or weakest and would wear out sooner. I knew the tranny would need to be re geared and didn't want to deal with it.
If you are able to do this and all gears sound the same or normal then it may not be your transmission.
Good luck.

The 6 speeds (05-17) are notoriously loud due to the throwout beating assemblies being poor quality. The only cure that I have found is to replace them with new, but in 20k Miles the rattle/howl will be back...

On the 5 speeds, the whine is caused by two things; input shaft bearing or pocket bearing. Both are relatively easy to fix, but time consuming and require removal of the tranny and disassembly. The key to diagnose is 4th gear: if it does not whine in 4th, then it is not the pocket bearing, as it is direct drive and the bearing is essentially locked in place. So drive it, if in 4th there is no whine, then it is the pocket bearing. If it whines in all 5 gears, it is the input shaft bearing.

My $.02

Thanks for the input. I will check out your suggestions. It only seems to be loud in neutral. So long as it isn't going to fail on me I can live with it.

Back