White extra cab owners...have you noticed?

waxcrazy

Has anyone besides me notice a tinge of a color varation on your white extra cab...between it and the door? It is ever so slight but my eye picks up on it and it is on both sides...bought brand new and no signs of a repaint....almost like extra cab door was painted at a seperate time or batch...almost has a blue hue to it...no one even sees it till I point it out...then they do...but still call me a wack job....used to paint so I got an eye for color...anyone else suffering from ocd like me?lol

My 2007 Tundra super white had a bad paint issue. Toyota had done a stage 1 paint with the super white where the clear coat and the paint where together. Fading and spotting like crazy. Each panel of the truck almost had a different white tint to it.
Some of the people who had toyota look at them early on where getting panels at a time repainted by toyota. One that I heard of had his entire truck repainted.
Toyota knows it was an issue but is doing it case by case. No recall. You have to get a service manager who is cool and has a good relationship with the regional rep to come look at it.
I finally had a rep look at mine last year after researching it and calling corporate multiple times. Toyota took 3 weeks to get back to me and said it was to late for me to get any painting done. I would of had to have the issue documented within the first few years.
I hope toyota isn't still doing this with the super white. That's one of the reasons I traded the tundra in and joined team taco.
If you are worried about it I would take it in and have service documentation that the paint is like that. At least if years down the road we all find out it's an issue you'll have a leg to stand on.
I just bought a 2017 super white Tacoma TRD OR DCLB. I've notice some color variation between the cab, doors and bed but thought I was being paronoid because of the issues with my 2007 Tundra super white paint. I'm going to pay more attention to it and be more proactive this time if there is actually a problem I'm not going to wait until it's to late.
Good luck.

Here is a picture...hard to tell from picture...very slight but off

12821-jpg.1403028

The clear coat with Toyota white definitely has thin/inconsistently clear coat. Yes it is a known issue, keep that paint moist with a lot of polish/wax. I do paintless dent repair for 14 years and work at 3 Toyota dealerships. One of the service managers told me that there is issues with the consistency of the clear coats with white especially. I bought a 2016 dark gray because of this issue with the clear coat. Note: This is unknown yet with the 2016+ models since I was told about this early 2015 by the manager

The clear coat with Toyota white definitely has thin/inconsistently clear coat. Yes it is a known issue, keep that paint moist with a lot of polish/wax. I do paintless dent repair for 14 years and work at 3 Toyota dealerships. One of the service managers told me that there is issues with the consistency of the clear coats with white especially. I bought a 2016 dark gray because of this issue with the clear coat. Note: This is unknown yet with the 2016+ models since I was told about this early 2015 by the manager
That makes sense because that is exactly what it looks like....it appears to have more clear on the cab doors thus giving a different appearance than the door...almost shinier....I am very anal but thanks for confirming I'm not crazy too

Back