Wish I had got a 6 speed Manual

man.cave

I really wanted a 6 speed Manual in my 2016 Tacoma, but convinced my self that I would get better MPG's with the auto due to the higher 5th and 6th gears in the Auto, but the auto doesn't do a good job staying in those gears so. There was also the issue of getting a TRD OR with the options I wanted, ( was going to take 3 months). I figure I will wait until the 17's come out and just swap for a manual. The crawl and terrain control is great for somebody who doesn't really know how to drive off road. Anybody else wish they got the manual?

BTW, I really like my Taco but just not crazy about the auto tranny

The driving experience with the auto has been pretty disappointing...wishing I had the manual, as well...

I'm lucky to be a dealer tech. I got to drive all the ones we had on the lot an the stick is definately the way to go. I found the new auto to ne a bit lame

One of the little things I love about the manual is it stays in 6th the whole time on the interstate in cruise. My dad has an auto and it constantly shifts in cruise set at 70 mph.

Just took road trip. I had cruise set at 75 for about 1 1/2 hours with no problems.

2,000 miles on manual Sport Access and loving it! Only wish it had smart key instead of clutch cancel switch. Totally useless if you know how to drive stick.

I am one of the cruise control crazy shifting group. Downshifts to 4th on an incline and stays in 4th unless i turn off cruise. Also shifts between 5 and 6 relentlessly. But after 2400 miles on my 2016 TRD OFFROAD 4X4, its shifting much better than when i drove it away with 200 miles on it. Learning transmission seems to be doing just that.. learning.

I am one of the cruise control crazy shifting group. Downshifts to 4th on an incline and stays in 4th unless i turn off cruise. Also shifts between 5 and 6 relentlessly. But after 2400 miles on my 2016 TRD OFFROAD 4X4, its shifting much better than when i drove it away with 200 miles on it. Learning transmission seems to be doing just that.. learning.
I still haven't had that issue. Sometimes it stays in 4th a tad to long, but I live and drive foothills and mtns of NC so lots of rolling hills and climbs

One thing I have done since this post is use the power button and S mode more, it has made a difference in driving experience.

Most people whined about wanting more gears. This is what you get. I rented a Cherokee with a 9 speed. If I looked at the gas pedal it would down shift. It was always down shifting.

Most people whined about wanting more gears. This is what you get. I rented a Cherokee with a 9 speed. If I looked at the gas pedal it would down shift. It was always down shifting.
I will have to agree and disagree. I agree a tranny with more gears will shift more, but the tacos are still to much. My wife had a 8 speed grand Cherokee and it will go back and forth between 8 and 7 but it is alot smoother, alot less shifts, and u wouldn't know it unless u watched rims or gear number change.

Back