Worst Rated Mid-Sized truck??

This is what happens "if" Toyota stops caring and stops taking care of their customers. Get your **** together Toyota and FIX the issues with these 2016-2017. Make your customers happy and love their trucks. Put out a great 2018 Tacoma!!! Make your people happy and get the market back. I love my 2017 taco it has some growing pains that should and will be fixed. Let's go Toyota.

Poor handling? Half of my driving is dirt roads on my ranches. It has great handling on dirt roads in my opinion. I guess if I was a mall cruiser I'd go with the Colorado.

No issues with my 17 dcsb m/t. Thankful that's what I wanted regardless of automatic transmission problems. 2nd year run of the truck so it's still working out the kinks. They'll get it together.

I think the 16 was rated so well because it was rated too early after it came out. For the 17, CR prob knows it is the same vehicle and now see's all the 16 & 17 complaints.

I recently took my 2002 Trd 4 door 4x4 to Toyota stealership for a ongoing mystery ABS light. They figured out Friday that it is the ECU and is going to be about $1200 plus some other routine maintenance I'm looking at about a $1700 bill. While we were standing in the sallyport I told the guy maybe I should just get rid of it now and get a 2016. Both of the service techs looked each other and started laughing. I said, "whats so funny?" They then said come with us and took me into the main service bay where there was probably 30 service lifts and over half of them add 2016 or 2017 Tacoma's on them currently with them torn apart. I was absolutely shocked that were maybe six older model Tacoma's and three new tundras and two or three older tundras in the entire service Bays!!!! Blew me away! Both of the service techs begin telling me that 2016 is made with a very cheap parts. He brought over a whole valve cover assembly to me and it is all plastic. He told me they cannot even tourque them down past 7 pounds psi with a torque wrench. That's how cheap they are. They have broken several of them while replacing them. In fact the valve cover assembly he brought me was off of a 2016 four-door TRT off-road 4 x 4 and he said that the guy traded it in last week with only 11,000 miles on it because he has had to have it towed four times for breaking down. The guy came in and actually traded it in for a 2012 TRT. That is crazy. I have to agree with the other guys, Toyota get it together! I have been a Toyota fan and that is all I have owned since I was 22 years old. I am now 45
I currently have a 2004 xtra cab and of course the 2002 quad cab. I immediately agreed and authorized $1700 for repairs. They said that the best years for these Tacoma's for 1995.5- 2015 and that The V6 3.4 L is one of the strongest motors they ever made. I will be keeping my 2002 Trd 4 door!!!

If you want to avoid cheap parts you're going to have to drive that '02 for the rest of your life, because every manufacturer uses cheap parts nowadays.

What you say is odd though. Every time I've taken my 2016 to the dealer, whether it be for routine maintenance or anything else, it's always the only Tacoma there. And I live in a highly populated area.

You can't see my service departments bays they have them hidden from public view. You can see the two lifts where they perform express services i.e. Oil changes but that's it.

If you want to avoid cheap parts you're going to have to drive that '02 for the rest of your life, because every manufacturer uses cheap parts nowadays.

What you say is odd though. Every time I've taken my 2016 to the dealer, whether it be for routine maintenance or anything else, it's always the only Tacoma there. And I live in a highly populated area.

Hi Taco Rick. You probably right. Hence the reason I'm putting the money and I am into it and why it is at the dealer. Because Too many of the other small shops are using cheap crappy parts. I agree with you there.
I want to keep the 4 door trd for a long time. I am going to get rid of the extra cab. I only bought it because it was the only clean low mileage one I could fine in 2014. However after searching for five years for a clean four-door I found this one. But The previous owner it was the only owner did not disclose that he had a intermittent ABS light until a month after I bought it and pressured him after telling him I have spent close to $1000 trying to figure it out. He then came forward and said the light started coming on about a year ago. But his mechanic check it out and said there was no problem. Which I think is a lie. The after taking it to Roseville Toyota were they able to figure out it was the ABS electronic control unit module. Which I kind of figured out on my own because last week I unplugged the module to check both plugs and clean them and after doing so the ABS light has not come back on. But the dealer has assured me the unit is bad. As far as the service bays I was shocked myself. As I said diehard Toyota van and have probably spent well over $100,000 on these trucks including the purchase of them and maintenance over the years. It's probably double that. I have had at least 14 Toyota ranging from a 1987 Toyota 4 x 4 on the way to my newest one being a 2004. I do not like anything dialyze after the first generation. Just my opinion. And you know what they say? Pinions are like what? Everybody has one. The crazy thing about Roseville Toyota Service once you walk past the sallyport you can see all 30 lives. And again I was absolutely shocked. Five different technicians came up to me and said, do not buy anything above 2015. That's all we work on all week !!
Seems odd to me as well because I see them all over so people are still buying them. But as this video showed all you have to do is do a little research and you can see the constant problems people are having with the 2016. I personally I'm not gonna pay $35,000 out the door for a truck that needs to be taken back for or five times in the first 20,000 miles. Has anybody else experienced any of this? Because I haven't heard a single negative word in my crowd. But most of us drive first generation.

That's too bad about the newer Tacomas having so many problems. I guess I'm pretty lucky, I have a 2013 and it's been a solid truck. I bought a 2005 Ram SRT10, brand new and it was a lemon for the entire 2 yrs that I owned it.

I bought a 2016 TRD OR with 5k on her. The tranny tsb had been done already. I now have 8k on her and zero issues. I recently towed a trailer from CA to CO and had no issues. Aside from typical taco axle wrap that plagued my 10 trd or as well. I will add better leafs at some point to deal with that. Otherwise my experience has been extremely positive, granted I've only put 3k on her so we'll see.
A friend of mine here in CO has a 16 trd or that has the tranny issue. I told him about the tsb and he took it to the dealer only to be told they had not heard of any problems. Lol.

Back