Yaw sensor and PCM reprogramming

OR17TRD

I was hoping to get more information about the YAW sensor and the PCM on these 2016 and 2017 Tacoma's.
Has anyone had the YAW sensor reprogrammed after adding a lift?
Has anyone had the PCM reprogrammed after adding larger tires/wheels?
What issues did you notice after the lift?
What issues after the larger tires/wheels?
How did reprogramming the YAW sensor help?
How did reprogramming the PCM help?
Is it vital to the operation and performance of the vehicle to reprogram these?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
:cool:No one? :( Haha.
What I think I know...
The PCM knows revolutions per min, with larger tires less Rev per min. change the tire size from stock and this will throw off the stability control and cause some issues. Set the PCM for current tire size and issues are fixed.

The YAW sensor determines the unloaded posture of the truck, if lifted, needs to be reset since the center of gravity is higher than stock. This can cause the truck to think its pitch and roll is greater than it is.
These are smart trucks. :confused:
They have safety features that engage to cut throttle when they think they are tipping or flipping. If the yaw sensor is not reset after a lift the truck may think it is doing a wheely and flipping backwards when going up an incline say more than 10% which would cause its "safety" feature to engage and cut power to the throttle to prevent it from flipping backward.

The feeling of loosing power while going up a hill. :mad:

The only thing you can do is the reset and I'm not sure how on the new trucks. Reprogramming is completely out of the question since Toyota ECUs are locked up tight.

Back