1980 2wd 20r 5 spd.

Got the rear diff re sealed today. What a PITA haha. Have to unhook the brake lines and pull the axels out. Didn’t help the auto parts store gave me the wrong gasket. I had some RTV so I used it instead. Probably be better in the long run.
B97886AF-7C1F-40B8-9012-8D3194F539E4.jpeg ECBABC67-5925-449D-A292-3ED0D9AFC46D.jpeg 3EC51602-24C9-4F9F-89EC-9B0E0D2F9CCC.jpeg

Did the front brakes and transmission today.

Calipers were shot. I found some refabbed ones for $40 each
61099542-1C35-4344-A887-410F832B2589.jpeg

Drained and replaced the brake fluid as well.

drained and filled the transmission. The fill plug had some good stuff on it.
4E813C18-A188-4A58-AADF-D4E0D8F3C3F7.jpeg 5BA5B313-0135-4FF6-A23E-CD82BAFDFA7C.jpeg

Should be good for another 60k :)

Last edited:
I need to clean it up with some simple green so it’s not so greasy to work on. Looks like the front main seal is leaking. I need to get a gasket kit for it and start taking it apart. It has some pretty good exhaust leaks through the pipe. It’s leaking from the thermostat housing and one of the radiator tubes. Spark plugs look old and the distributor and wires probably need to be replaced.
Sounds like Dr. Raymond Stantz describing all the work that needs to be done to the new company car, Ecto 1.

Hey @OR17TRD hows the Pizza Planet coming along?
It’s a work in progress. Trying to find all the parts and pieces for it. Found a complete dash piece and OEM stereo and a bench seat. The interior is getting closer to being done. I need to have the bench seat wrapped in the right color material.
I was hoping to have it painted last month but my buddy had some medical issues so it got put on hold. Not a big deal. It will happen when it’s suppose to.

It’s a work in progress. Trying to find all the parts and pieces for it. Found a complete dash piece and OEM stereo and a bench seat. The interior is getting closer to being done. I need to have the bench seat wrapped in the right color material.
I was hoping to have it painted last month but my buddy had some medical issues so it got put on hold. Not a big deal. It will happen when it’s suppose to.
Sounds like it's coming along quite well! Sorry to hear about your buddy!

Are you getting used parts or new? If used where can you buy them from? Online maybe? The reason I ask is because it's almost impossible to find Toyota trucks of any sort in a wrecking yard. If on-line I'd like to know the site myself, maybe I can find parts on there for my '02 Taco.

Sounds like it's coming along quite well! Sorry to hear about your buddy!

Are you getting used parts or new? If used where can you buy them from? Online maybe? The reason I ask is because it's almost impossible to find Toyota trucks of any sort in a wrecking yard. If on-line I'd like to know the site myself, maybe I can find parts on there for my '02 Taco.
I bought two and have a donner. I might buy another one just to have parts. I’ve found some interior parts on eBay. Most is the drive train stuff you can find aftermarket. https://www.partsgeek.com/ymm/1980/toyota/pickup.html
There is a guy up in Washington state that has a bunch of parts from these older Toyota's. I know lots of these older Toyota’s are getting cut up and taken somewhere south. I’m assuming Mexico. I’ve seen carivans of them headed on I-5 south bound. 0F1C0CC5-1CCB-428C-A722-ABE52E9C6701.jpeg447B3338-2D7B-4EC7-BD85-18277344115C.jpegF451768C-D47F-4B62-BFE3-1AE8EC36C0F6.jpeg

I bought two and have a donner. I might buy another one just to have parts. I’ve found some interior parts on eBay. Most is the drive train stuff you can find aftermarket. https://www.partsgeek.com/ymm/1980/toyota/pickup.html
There is a guy up in Washington state that has a bunch of parts from these older Toyota's. I know lots of these older Toyota’s are getting cut up and taken somewhere south. I’m assuming Mexico. I’ve seen carivans of them headed on I-5 south bound. View attachment 33045View attachment 33046View attachment 33047
Cool sounds like you know right where to go!

You can weld cast iron you just got to heat the crap out of it before you weld the bad spot .I seen my father do a bunch of times with and arch welder !:cool:

https://www.partsgeek.com/ymm/1980/toyota/pickup.html

Poke around here OR17TRD there looks to be some goodies !
Yes, you would use wa welding oven. I think it needs to be 500°, weld it. Put it back in the oven a d cool it down over 12 hours. Sometimes you might find a welding shop. But, it can still crack

Back