1995 V6 4WD 5-speed manual - front differential drain

EyeClash

Vehicle: 1995 Tacoma V6 4WD 5-speed manual

Yesterday I was changing the oil on my front differential for the first time and mistakenly opened a drain bolt on the passenger side of the front differential:
20221203_154653.jpg

I then figured out the proper drain bolt and opened it (and labeled it):
20221203_154958.jpg

The filler bolt is on the front of the differential, up higher than the drain bolts of course:
20221203_163529.jpg

It looked to me like the same oil came out of both drain holes. Does anyone know what the passenger side hole is for?

welcome to the Tacoma Forum

1st gen best gen!

i am not sure about what the other hole purpose is for at the moment...

Probably its all the same drain hole's that was installed on this differential that may have been used in other trucks that required a different spot to access the drain hole.

Probably its all the same drain hole's that was installed on this differential that may have been used in other trucks that required a different spot to access the drain hole.
Yeah, could be. The passenger side one was a bit higher up. Even after it stopped draining, a signifcant amount of fluid came out of the driver side drain.

I've seen the same deal on small engines for the crankcase...they have a oil drail hole on both sides of the engine, but their both at the same level. Having one higher than the other is weird.

Back