1996 T-100 Hot re-start problem.

King Gelbin

3.4 v6

Truck starts just fine in the morning and always starts just fine if its been sitting for over 45 mins. However if I drive the truck to normal operating temperature then shut it off and try to start it again within 10-15 minutes....it will take a **** on me. Very frustrated since I can't drive the vehicle normally.

I have replaced the M.A.F sensor
In line fuel filter
Had injectors cleaned in the shop.

Your input will be greatly appreciated

Starter getting to hot? I had a s10 once that wouldn’t start after 15 minutes of driving. Ended up being a bad starter. Drive it somewhere with a water hose and cool the starter down if you can get to it and see if that’s it. I would try that all you will be spending is time. I had to buy some header wrap stuff and put it on my starter. Hope that helps

Last edited:
Heat soaking of the fuel system is a common cause as well. Check any heat shields and make sure that they are not bent or missing...and if the gaskets get old on the intake they can also let more heat transfer up than they did when new, because they are old and hard...this can possibly be a cause of heat soaking but is more of a problem with the older carburetors, not efi as much.
Another thing is check your valve adjustments, hard starting is also a sign of tight valves. If left alone in time you can burn the valves and then it is a major bill getting the heads rebuilt. Valve adjustments are cheap, machining your heads and installing new valves is not.
But the first thing to check above all else is your spark plugs. Worn out plugs can aggravate starting.

This is all assuming it cranks over fine of course, as you didn't actually say if it was a cranking issue or starting issue but cranks fine.

If it is a cranking issue then as Lil G said its your starter, battery, or wiring to the starter. Whenever you check any wiring problems, don't just check the power wires, double check for a good ground as well. A starter needs a lot of juice, and a bad ground strap can reduce the amount of juice its allowed to get. Seen so many electrical problems that were just a bad ground.

Back