2001 Tacoma regular cab 2.7

kodiak341

Ok guys, i got an 01 tacoma 2.7 that has low compression according to the shop i took it to, it was a crank no start, he said he checked all 4 cylinders compression and all were low, according to him a motor replacement is what needs to happen…would it be better to replace the motor or just rebuild the one thats in it? cost wise what do you guys think?

You gen1 guys don't know when to say when you've had enough pain. Do yourself a favor, and buy a later model tacoma that checks out solid.

Last edited:
i have had this truck fro years, has 349,000 miles on it, shes worth keeping and fixing, buying a later model is in the future as well but in the mean time im looking for what you guys think, should i rebuild it or just replace the motor

no they didnt do a leakdown test, when i asked why not he said that with the amount of compression loss there was there was really no reason for it

i have had this truck fro years, has 349,000 miles on it, shes worth keeping and fixing, buying a later model is in the future as well but in the mean time im looking for what you guys think, should i rebuild it or just replace the motor
Regardless, at that mileage you've gotten your use, nothing last forever, especially if its your daily driver...sure you can keep chucking parts into it to keep it on the road, but in the end, it's still a worn out old truck. I've seen your type spending more than it's worth. In the end you'll end up with no truck, and no money. I recently told a friend of mine that his son is now in the same predicament needing a 2.7 engine, after already blowing thousands into his high mileage gen1.

You should know by now, you've told us you have replaced just about everything in your gen1, and now I've been told by my tw informant the v6 engine is next.

Regardless, at that mileage you've gotten your use, nothing last forever, especially if its your daily driver...sure you can keep chucking parts into it to keep it on the road, but in the end, it's still a worn out old truck. I've seen your type spending more than it's worth. In the end you'll end up with no truck, and no money. I recently told a friend of mine that his son is now in the same predicament needing a 2.7 engine, after already blowing thousands into his high mileage gen1.
this is true, i may just say my goodbyes to the ol girl, id like to salvage her while in the mean time looking for a later model…which years should i stay away from?

Imo, if you can find a later year rust free gen2, or even a later year gen3 like my 2020 which has been flawless from the get-go. I gotta admit it's a crap shoot with these gen3's. Some run strong, while you hear from others, they have all sorts of drivability issues needing an aftermarket tune. All I can say is I would never buy a taco with a 2.7 in a gen2, or 3. They're just too heavy. With the gen3, I get as good fuel economy with my 3.5 v6, as the 2.7 four, plus I have over 100 hp more on tap for towing.
At any rate if buying used, it's imperative to have a good mechanic check it out first. Untreated frames will easily rust on both generations, especially the gen2 unless a non rust belt truck.

What do you recommend for engine size in the gen2 regular single cab?

The 4.0 v6 is a good all-around engine for any gen2 that gives these taco's great drivability, they are just a bit more hungry than the later gen3 3.5 v6. The 3.5 in the gen3 takes a lot of crap from the gen2 guys for being an atkinson cycle engine with all its complexity, but imo, there's nothing wrong with it. It produces more hp., and better fuel economy.

Last edited:
... so the 4.0 would be a direct bolt-in swap to the Gen2 regular single standard cab?
would the auto 3 speed with D be compatible with the 4.0?
i have no clue if the Gen2 Single cabs were sold and equipped with the 4.0
Were They??

While I haven't seen, or heard of any regular cab gen2's having the v6 4.0 engine, its possible you could do a swap using the v6 ECM, transmission, and various hardware needed to complete the job, but imo, its expensive, not to mention idiotic to do so, unless you have a good donor truck, and do all your own labor.
Its not like back in the 60-70's when swapping 6 cyl engines for a v8, or a smaller v8 for a larger one.

Just because compression is low does not necessarily mean the engine needs replacing.

Your valves could be worn not seating properly. Piston rings could be broken or worn.

I'd suggest deeper diagnostics before you open the wallet for an engine.

Heck, if you are really that set on digging into a high mileage engine, it can be even a timing issue causing the valves to be open on the compression stroke. I've seen engines with a broken, or worn out crank key that causes bad alignment marks with the camshaft.

Last edited:
Back