2012 Tacoma Corrosion Rust Compound (CRC) application at Toyota dealer

JimboTaco

So I took my 2012 Tacoma into the dealer for the Toyota CRC application due to the rusty frame warranty extension / recall. I thought they would wire brush the frame and then apply the compound to the whole thing. Nope. The first pic shows the side of the frame pointed outside and has zero compound on it and you can see all the rust spots. The 2nd photo shows the inner side of the frame which looks like they just put a bead of compound in the seams. Is this how it is supposed to be done?

IMG_8345.jpg
*** Frame angle from the outside of the Truck** 1 day after CRC application

IMG_8347.jpg
**Frame - Angle from the inside of the Truck ** See the bead of Corrosion Resistant Compound that looks like toothpaste.

Yup. They clean and dry the inside near the front then fill it with goo then plug holes to try and keep water out. Then lay in beads along seams the rest of the frame.

That sounds, looks like a spit ball approach to a fix. What ever happened to actual rust proofing? Ziebart has been around for decades plus now there are a multitude of companies offering some sort of rust proofing and treatments. It's a shame to buy a vehicle that mechanically will last virtually forever only to have it rust away because the manufacturer is too cheap to treat the underside.

I would think grinding out the rust before applying any kind of rust preventative would be standard procedure. Then use the inhibitor to stop any further rusting on the entire frame.

I honestly don't think they have one hint of a clue about what they are doing with any of this!

Do they care?

If I had any surface rust on mine I’d treat it with a good rust inhibitor. I’ve used Mar Hyde spray on rust inhibitor on body rust, dries on clear but turns rust black and neutralizes it. Other companies like Rustoleum have similar spray on or brush on products.

Grinding it off is the best solution but pretty labor intensive.

is the protective frame coating applied defective on these from the getgo

from the pics it would seem the roadsalts eat right through the protective paint coating :eek:

Toyota will only do parts of the insides of the boxed in frame with their crc goop. It's still your responsibility to keep the rest of the chassis from rusting out.
Op needs to wire wheel the rust away...then use a rust converter like rustoleum sells over the bare steel. When that cures, only then the frame can be painted with a black chassis paint. Op can now choose their favorite flavor of a rust inhibitor to spray on like fluid flim, or cosmoline. It should be inspected year to year for needing any touchups, or re-applications if using a lanolin based rust inhibitor.

there is a new game in town called surface shield from PBblaster

i have yet to try it ...

there is a new game in town called surface shield from PBblaster

i have yet to try it ...

It's been around at least 3 years here. Idk if it's that much different than wool wax, or fluid flim being lanolin based. Anyway you cut it, this stuff will wash away if used in a wet environment.

It's been around at least 3 years here. Idk if it's that much different than wool wax, or fluid flim being lanolin based. Anyway you cut it, this stuff will wash away if used in a wet environment.

i read it dries tacky so you don't rub it off greasy on ya elbows back head shoulders what not
and does not collect dirt easily as the woolWax & FF typre products

i have not tried it out yet, still a newbie with that product

the BoeShield i sprayed is not collecting dirt that i can tell but i cannot tell if its still on there or not LMAO

+ found some whacky weird stuff going on with that cosmoline i put under my truck and need to figure it out what is going on

The two coats of it on my truck are still intact after 3 years. Frame looks dull, and dirty, but I never washed it either. Not a speck of rust, which would have started by now if I did nothing.

Back