2016+ Intake Plenum Bracket Mod

B-Man

Found this mod and looked at mine and indeed was starting to rub. There's a small bracket approximately 4 in length that provides support for the intake. Located on the front of the engine. There's a small heater hose that runs underneath it. On the lower right corner the bracket is rubbing on the hose/protective cover. Mine had not rubbed through the protective cover but was close to going thru it.

The lower right corner of the bracket needs to be removed so as to clear the heater hose. There's 2 bolts holding the bracket on. Remove those and remove the bracket. I used my hand grinder to remove and re-contour the lower right hand corner so it clears the hose.

At first glance, it looks like the bracket is NOT rubbing but I'm sure when the system is warmed up and the hose has some pressure on it expansion of the hose causes the rubbing.

When reattatching the bracket the bolts just need to be snug. It's just a support bracket. The upper bolt goes into brass threads so be careful not to strip it. I did apply a small amount of blue loctite for peace of mind.

I'm sure down the road the bracket would eventually rub thru the hose or at least cause a weak spot causing a broken/blown hose.

10 minutes total time and was done. In my pics below I can't get the right angle with my phone to show the clearance but the bracket now clears the hose. Also, from the pics you can see a small area where rubbing was occurring.

I also posted a video below of the mod. It's not my video but thought it'd help. The gentleman who made the video removed quite a bit of material from the bracket. I didn't remove that much......just enuf to clear the hose.

1.jpeg 2.jpeg

Found this mod and looked at mine and indeed was starting to rub. There's a small bracket approximately 4 in length that provides support for the intake. Located on the front of the engine. There's a small heater hose that runs underneath it. On the lower right corner the bracket is rubbing on the hose/protective cover. Mine had not rubbed through the protective cover but was close to going thru it.

The lower right corner of the bracket needs to be removed so as to clear the heater hose. There's 2 bolts holding the bracket on. Remove those and remove the bracket. I used my hand grinder to remove and re-contour the lower right hand corner so it clears the hose.

At first glance, it looks like the bracket is NOT rubbing but I'm sure when the system is warmed up and the hose has some pressure on it expansion of the hose causes the rubbing.

When reattatching the bracket the bolts just need to be snug. It's just a support bracket. The upper bolt goes into brass threads so be careful not to strip it. I did apply a small amount of blue loctite for peace of mind.

I'm sure down the road the bracket would eventually rub thru the hose or at least cause a weak spot causing a broken/blown hose.

10 minutes total time and was done. In my pics below I can't get the right angle with my phone to show the clearance but the bracket now clears the hose. Also, from the pics you can see a small area where rubbing was occurring.

I also posted a video below of the mod. It's not my video but thought it'd help. The gentleman who made the video removed quite a bit of material from the bracket. I didn't remove that much......just enuf to clear the hose.

View attachment 19657 View attachment 19658
Mine didn't seem to be rubbing and actually looked like someone had taken a grinder to it before... but I took it off, cleaned it up, smoothed it out and gave it a little more room. Thanks @B-Man!

Mine didn't seem to be rubbing and actually looked like someone had taken a grinder to it before... but I took it off, cleaned it up, smoothed it out and gave it a little more room. Thanks @B-Man!
You're welcome, C! Hope this mod keeps folks from gettin broke down out on the road!

View attachment 19657 View attachment 19658

Thanks buddy! Great post. This is definitely on the to-do list!

Back