2017 Frame Rust

Terry T

Hey guys, I’m new to the forum and might be beating a dead horse on this one so bare with me... I just got a 2017 Tacoma SR5 and noticed that basically all the frame welds are collecting rust, the bolts look like they have been on the truck since 2002. Anyone else have this issue?

Attachments

• 88E4BB16-8FEA-4C5D-923B-BE37F57BB60D.jpeg
    88E4BB16-8FEA-4C5D-923B-BE37F57BB60D.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 104
  • B842288E-2C9E-4344-AF01-300F60412474.jpeg
    B842288E-2C9E-4344-AF01-300F60412474.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 106
  • D089826E-FA7B-4A5A-90A8-733BE0858EA2.jpeg
    D089826E-FA7B-4A5A-90A8-733BE0858EA2.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 106
Hey guys, I’m new to the forum and might be beating a dead horse on this one so bare with me... I just got a 2017 Tacoma SR5 and noticed that basically all the frame welds are collecting rust, the bolts look like they have been on the truck since 2002. Anyone else have this issue?
Holy cow man! Where do you live???
I'm guessing there's lots of salt on the roads during winter? I'd take a trip to the dealership and talk about a frame replacement... Unfortunately, this has been an issue since 05, they've used this same frame for 15 years.

I'm guessing there's lots of salt on the roads during winter? I'd take a trip to the dealership and talk about a frame replacement... Unfortunately, this has been an issue since 05, they've used this same frame for 15 years.
I live in SLC Utah, so yes the roads are coated in salt during the winter.

Keep us posted on what you learn from the dealer — I’ve seen some rust on my lugnuts and other parts of my ‘18 OR but nothing that bad.

I’m in Montana so it’s seen only 1 winter so far

I’m in Georgia but my used ‘16 came down from Ohio. There’s a small amount of rust on some screws and welds here and there but it was only 1 winter old when I purchased it too. We don’t get much salt on the roads here. But yeah, it looks nothing like what’s in those pics

Doesn't look bad enough for a frame replacement IMO. I would be doing some sanding and repainting and then keep it covered with fluid film
That was my first thought... wire brush and a gallon of chassis paint but then I said, "wait a minute, this is a 3 year old truck... taking on a frame project should involve a truck with antique plates..." [emoji23]
Curious to see what the dealership says... I crawled under mine looking around yesterday, I seen a couple spots of rust that looked like where it rubbed a rock, nothing bad...
Then I started daydreaming about a high pinion Dana 44 and 3 link up front with 2.5x16 coilovers and a 9" with disc brakes and chevy 63" leaves out back with 2x16 resi'd shocks... haha

Last edited:
I will look under mine only 22000 miles on it. I did have the dealer do a full underbody coating.

I have an 18 TRD off road with 11K on the clock. The day after I bought the truck new, I wiped the frame and underbody down with Prep-sol, removed all heat shields and spare tire, lowered the gas tank, masked the sides of the truck with newspaper and painters tape and undercoated EVERYTHING that was frame or sheet metal under the truck. I let it sit for two days jacked up with the tires off and the gas tank lowered and let the undercoating dry (July in NJ, HOT).

11K miles later, no chips in the undercoating and zero rust on the frame or underbody. Unlike the wax coating, I don't have to apply it every year.

I have an 18 TRD off road with 11K on the clock. The day after I bought the truck new, I wiped the frame and underbody down with Prep-sol, removed all heat shields and spare tire, lowered the gas tank, masked the sides of the truck with newspaper and painters tape and undercoated EVERYTHING that was frame or sheet metal under the truck. I let it sit for two days jacked up with the tires off and the gas tank lowered and let the undercoating dry (July in NJ, HOT).

11K miles later, no chips in the undercoating and zero rust on the frame or underbody. Unlike the wax coating, I don't have to apply it every year.

What undercoating did you use? Just curious.
Btw, I have a 2016 with 37K miles on it and no rust at all. But I am in Florida, no snow here, just high humidity.

I will check tomorrow morning and let you know. Don't discount salt laden rain and salt mist in the air. I used six cans to do my truck, and I am positive that I did an equal or better job than a pro would have done.

If your truck were mine, I'd wash the undercarriage with detergent and let it dry before undercoating. Some car washes offer this service.

I will check tomorrow morning and let you know. Don't discount salt laden rain and salt mist in the air. I used six cans to do my truck, and I am positive that I did an equal or better job than a pro would have done.

If your truck were mine, I'd wash the undercarriage with detergent and let it dry before undercoating. Some car washes offer this service.

Thanks. I have used Fluid Film before, just curious to see if there is anything better.

I use this:https://www.ruralking.com/gunk-tite-seal-autobody-undercoating-16-oz-t1616

It comes paintable and non-paintable. Both work equally well. Soak the can in a pail of hot water and shake well. The undercoat goes on evenly, and foams when it first contacts the surface. The foam dies away and the undercoat sucks tight to the metal. I have used this undercoat in the past and it lasted for the 8 years that I kept the vehicle. No cracks or falling off. As far as falling off, that depends on the the surface being clean and dry.

IF YOU USED FLUID FILM ON YOUR FRAME, THE UNDERCOAT WILL NOT STICK UNLESS YOU REMOVE THE FLUID FILM. Good luck with that.

Fluid Film boasts of great coverage and how regular undercoating traps water and promotes rust. How many over the road trucks do you see on the highways? Most come undercoated from the factory and run half a million miles and seldom are washed.

Back