2017 Tacoma SR5 V6 Engine ticking/knocking

HiddenX

I hear a ticking/knocking sound that seems to be louder on the top back area of the engine on the passenger side (see video) 13k miles. It seems to do this constantly, the video makes it sound a little louder than it really is FYI. Anyone know what is causing this?

haha yeah... its a little louder in the video but still pretty loud in rl. I did notice this morning when I started it up that it wasn’t really making any noise until it got warm.

My 2018 has the same issue, I'm the second owner, got it with 20,000 dealer went over it totally and certified it. No dash lights, no other issues to speak of besides this knock at idle from the same area when the engine is warm. Glad I'm not the only one, usually that's a lifter or valve issue. But it's a Yota Technical so they'll run for-ev-vurh.

I've only 5k miles on my sr5 v6, but it doesn't make noises like that. Maybe it will when it accumulates more time? If i had a guess if being a diesel would be the fuel injectors or one of them getting louder.

Yeah I actually traded it in last May for a 2020 model. It makes the same noise, it’s normal and what I’ve found is some are slightly louder than others. A guy at work has a TRD Pro and I asked him if his made the noise and he said no. I was like yeah right, so I listened to it one day when he was starting it up and low and behold his truck makes the same damn noise... some ppl just can’t hear it or deny it idk but I test drove two 2020 Tacomas before I bought my brand new one and they all make the sound. It’s normal. Some are louder than others so don’t worry about it the Tacoma is the best midsize truck on the market period just enjoy your truck.

Yeah I actually traded it in last May for a 2020 model. It makes the same noise, it’s normal and what I’ve found is some are slightly louder than others. A guy at work has a TRD Pro and I asked him if his made the noise and he said no. I was like yeah right, so I listened to it one day when he was starting it up and low and behold his truck makes the same damn noise... some ppl just can’t hear it or deny it idk but I test drove two 2020 Tacomas before I bought my brand new one and they all make the sound. It’s normal. Some are louder than others so don’t worry about it the Tacoma is the best midsize truck on the market period just enjoy your truck.
I've gotten out of my truck to drop off letters in a mail box next to me at times and listened to the truck running, its fairly quiet, but you can still hear some ticking going on. Its no where close to what some of these v6 3.5's sound like. I'm guessing its still too new with only a bit over 5k miles.

I had ticking in a Porsche once. It drove me crazy. But in a Tacoma it's ok because it seems to be normal. I think it comes down to what you expect from the engine... or any other part of the truck or car.

that sounds a little abnormal, I would take it to the Dealership to at the least be documented by them even if they say its normal, if something mechanically should arise you have some backup.

Back