2019 Tacoma 2.7 delayed cold start noise

ecenter

I hate to keep beating a dead horse, but something should be able to be fixed. This noise in my start up video, started just 3-5,000 miles ago totally out of nowhere. I have researched every forum, YouTube, been to my local mechanic and Toyota. Nothing. However it only does it on cold starts and sometimes 2 weeks between occurrences. The delay between actually start up and the idle up / to when the noise actually starts and then briefly reoccurs seems to be different from all the other VVTi videos I have heard. There is always that delay. But still suspect that’s the issue. IDK. I have replaced usual maintenance items just to rule them out (tensioner, pulleys, belt). Running Toyota filter and 0w20 synthetic. (Had a Valvoline syn blend and filter history before). Also, removed and inspected the oil Control valve solenoids. The looked clean and operated correctly when connected to power, while I inspected with them out. I’m at a loss, other than running a flush and keep running the Toyota full syn 0w20 and OEM filter and hope it works itself out. My OCD is getting the best of me. Haha

Any more ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. (Including a shut up and drive it, it’s ok)

O god, does my OCD run me down the fan rabbit hole now?Could a faulty fan clutch make that noise? It does spin quite freely.

could be? i never thought about that part
mine just roars upon startup and then settles down

is yours one you can check the oil in there?

Last edited:
Don’t really know, it’s the one part I haven’t investigated 1000%. I will check that out.
Only noises I’m finding people report is just fan roar. Could it pop or rattle on very random start ups. It’s tight, no wobble. But I do believe it turns on start up and I can spin it a good rotation or two by hand. Well, now to jump into this new area of knowledge. Haha. Thanks, and any more knowledge from you pros, drop it my way.

I'd try a little thicker winter viscosity oil, say like a 5w30. Check the clutch on the Air Conditioner compressor and fan clutch. Sometimes bearings in the serpentine belt system can be noisy until warmed up. Check the alternator bearings too.

Good Hunting. Intermittent noises can be most difficult to locate.

I would love to step up oil weight by one notch, as it actually seems to be better when it is very cold. Could just be coincidence. Although I see all kinds of guys saying thicker oil is horrible for the VVTI cam / gear set up (which is what I think I’m fighting). Toyota says only use 5w30 for one change if 0w20 is not available; then switch back on very next change.

Any opinions on oil weight and 2019 Tacoma 2.7 4 cylinder VVTI; and or flow rates and pumps designed to handle a 0w20 oil. I sure would love to try a step thicker, just to see.

I would love to step up oil weight by one notch, as it actually seems to be better when it is very cold. Could just be coincidence. Although I see all kinds of guys saying thicker oil is horrible for the VVTI cam / gear set up (which is what I think I’m fighting). Toyota says only use 5w30 for one change if 0w20 is not available; then switch back on very next change.

Any opinions on oil weight and 2019 Tacoma 2.7 4 cylinder VVTI; and or flow rates and pumps designed to handle a 0w20 oil. I sure would love to try a step thicker, just to see.
I changed my oil with 5w30 mobil 1 a few weeks ago. Its far more available at wally world than 0w20. So far my engine doesn't seem to mind.

Do a little research to compare the 0W20 to the 5w30. The point of interest is the cold (0w, 5w) viscosity. You should discover how the cold viscosity is determined and the differences. You will see an overlap of temperature ranges for different multi-viscosity oils.

The gears and cams won't care about viscosity, they just need lubrication.

Check your Owner's Manual. It likely has a temperature chart to choose the correct oil viscosity.

Do your research then decide. Don't rely on claims made by some guy on the internet.

FWIW, I run 5w30 in my Gen2 that has the VVTi system. No troubles for 3 years. Start temperatures have been in the -20F range.

Same here when i had my tundra 4.7 using 5w30 mobil 1. Never an issue in 19 years using it. Coldest it gets might be -10, or a bit colder. So far this winter its been in the teens a few nights. 0W20is hard to find in large 5 qt jugs, plus its more expensive for the same stuff as 5w30. 0w20 is nearly $10 a qt if you buy it that way. I can buy 6 qts of 5w30 for half that here at wally world.

Do your research then decide. Don't rely on claims made by some guy on the internet.

FWIW, I run 5w30 in my Gen2 that has the VVTi system. No troubles for 3 years. Start temperatures have been in the -20F range.
so one cannot trust a darned thing you say?

so one cannot trust a darned thing you say?
Its up to you what you want to believe and/or trust.

I made no recommendations or solutions or claims. I only suggested the OP do research on a specific topic. Then for him to decide his path to a solution.

I did mention what I use in my truck as an example.

Some toyota engines as their 3.0 v6 was a known sludge engine if you only ran regular mineral oil, even if you changed it at their recommended intervals. At the time toyota claimed that oil was ok to use. Its been pretty much synthetics after that. Synthetics can take the heat and cold far better without breaking down.

Ok. Still very random and even seemed much better and further apart until this morning. Not cold (50 degrees). Last week I Changed my VVT oil solenoid / control valves as a last ditch effort and also switched to a “Tacoma oil forum” recommended Mobil 1 Extended Performance along with staying with the OEM Toyota filter. One week after, I get this same rattle, but it doesn’t fade and go away on its own. I simply turned off the key. Then restarted with ZERO noise. Which now makes me wonder if something is sticking, hanging up, possible starter solenoid hanging, or the pin in the VVT finally sticking?? Is it my oil change, I’m still with 0W20 full synthetic?? I still think it sounds in the top end. But this is the first time that it seemed that it would not stop on its own. It stayed solid until I turned the key off. Then not a peep on an immediate re-start. Any other advice? TIA

I’m really leaning towards a stuck starter or solenoid trying to engage again. It’s exactly what it sounds like. Anyone have this issue? Or Tacoma’s prone to this?

I guess you can rap on the starter, and see if the issue disappears for awhile. I've heard of starters giving other manufacture's vehicles issues, but never a toyota.

Any luck I have a 2017 with this same issue. I was searching for this exact noise and your video is the same exact noise. Had the noise stick once and was also able to get it to go off by turning off the truck! Let me know what you find

Back