2023 Toyota Tacoma Underbody

Aloha! Just lifted my '23 Limited Doublecab 6" on 20's and looking for some advice on the underbody please.

The lower fender was removed for obvious clearance as well as the itty bitty skid plate and looking underneath, it looks 'naked and unprotected'. Previously at stock, I never realized how bare and exposed everything was until it got lifted and knowing how much crap flies up there, I was looking to see if anybody has installed any under body protection and if so, what in specific?

Catalytic converter theft is common here so looking at getting the Miller Cat Shield (stainless) but not sure if there are any full lower body protection kits out there?

Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Mahalo!

i don't know much about the climate of Hawaii
is there much salty mist drifting in the air all the time? or only close to the beaches

do you have some pics what you are looking at?
pics always can be of much help

i don't know much about the climate of Hawaii
is there much salty mist drifting in the air all the time? or only close to the beaches

do you have some pics what you are looking at?
pics always can be of much help
The underbody is the same as other Tacos.... just lifted. If you never saw underneath, besides the stock skid plate, everything is exposed. My concern is just that now I don't have a skid plate and with the lift kit, there's a lot more 'surface area' for things to fly up in there. I'd rather minimize the constant projectiles if possible.

Salt air is all around us but more concentrated near the beaches/shoreline so that I'll never be able to avoid. It's just making sure to hose down top to bottom after coming back from the beach is all.

Not big on lifts especially on these gen3's. Doing so shortens the life on drivetrain components, and causes lots of other vibration issues. I guess if you have to use them day in, and out for serious off road, that's one thing, you already know what you're getting into. As far as the under carriage where salt is involved, these tacoma chassis need to be coated with some sort of a rust inhibitor if you plan to keep them several years, or more. That's their weakest point.

Last edited:
I'm curious.

How much debris are you expecting to fly up? What fragile components need protection? You talking about road debris or 4 wheelin' debris?

You could go whole hog with 1/2" SS plate custom formed and installed at a custom fabricator. The gain would be loads of weight, a lighter wallet, poor fuel economy and a nearly bullet proof belly.

The point of the exaggeration and questions is to sit down to really consider want you need vs what you want.

These gen3 trucks do have some issues if leaving the engine undercarriage exposed. The composite oil filter housing will be hanging down totally expose for something to hit it, not to mention the power steering pump lines. You do not want to drive off road without that engine shield in place, or even through a semi hard snow bank.

Back