3" lift ????

Onewyr

Ok i have a 98 ext cab and i plan on wheeling the hell out of this truck. Can the ifs hold up for awhile and what lift set up should i use to get a solid 3" lift but still be off road worthy? I currently have a set of 34x10.50x15 LTB's that are worn well but still usable, I have no issues with trimming to get them to fit. BTW i have read tons of threads and i always get lost in the pointless banter about GO SAS and forget it. I plan on doing a SAS at some point but i need to get my garage restocked with a new welder and stuff like that as well as the sas stuff. a 3" IFS lift would just be a crutch to get me back out on the trail.

If you are going SAS I would just save your money until then. As far as SFA vs IFS goes, both work well at doing everything while excelling at one or two things.

TBH the SAS will probably be a next winter kind of project so the ifs lift will be a long term fix to get me thru the spring/summer wheeling.

Isn't worth spending money on something you don't want. I know all about it since I spent about 3800 for a lift on my truck I don't even want. Haha

Last edited:
I'd save your money for the SAS if that's your plan...but you better be ready to drop some serious $$ into it if you want to do it right

or really, really know what you're doing.

otherwise, any mid travel will do you fine

Ok Kona without including the price of the axle how much are we talking? Doing the work myself isn't an issue so what are we talking in materials, kits, and parts? With my previous builds the options were pretty much straight forward but with the taco there are a ton of options. As far as what type of wheeling I want to be able to do its basically rocks I'm not much into the mud bogs. So I want flex but still be able to drive from my house to the trails which average about 2+ hour drive on the interstates.

Ok Kona without including the price of the axle how much are we talking? Doing the work myself isn't an issue so what are we talking in materials, kits, and parts? With my previous builds the options were pretty much straight forward but with the taco there are a ton of options. As far as what type of wheeling I want to be able to do its basically rocks I'm not much into the mud bogs. So I want flex but still be able to drive from my house to the trails which average about 2+ hour drive on the interstates.

Depends entirely on the quality of the parts you buy.

From what I've seen of SAS guys that actually wheel, not just throw an axle under there and drive away
it's usually around $6-9000
and that's baseline
Generally accepted figure is you gotta be ready to throw $10,000 at it

guys that parts hunt for awhile and know EXACTLY what theyre looking for can do it for less, but you really gotta know what you're doing

gears, tires, diff, axle, shafts, drivetrain, hydro, shocks, all the little things
but before all this you need to decide if you're going to go leafs or links

Last edited:
Ok so that's rediculous 10k? Even if you buy a type C kit from TG you are still only at 5k so where does the other 5k come in at$

Ok so back to ifs what will be a good long term setup then? 10k is a bit out of what I want to spend

Ok so back to ifs what will be a good long term setup then? 10k is a bit out of what I want to spend

A good mid travel and armor setup will get you far, it all depends on how much you're willing to spend and how hard you want to wheel

that setup is one of the go-to budget lifts

they do fine on the rocks, but you don't get much extra travel from them

I'm about to say **** it and just flip this truck and buy something that isn't such a ***** to lift.

Back