4 wheel drive issues

I posted this in the 4x4 forum but it probably had a better place here... 1996 manual 3.4l "lx" trim - I am experiencing grinding or popping when in 4 high or 4 low, only when turning. Truck sounds great in 2wd (cannot produce the same issue wheel lock to lock) Started experiencing symptoms where when coming out of 4H the truck would want to pull left and I would jerk the steering wheel until it would drive true. went to a mechanic and was told it basically needed a front end rebuild (lots of play in the lower ball joints, rack and pinion shot, etc). 1500$ later I have a refurbished rack and pinion, both lower ball joints, right side outer tie rod end. I also swapped the bumper with an ARB after hitting a deer and having the front end realigned twice and the core support in front of the condenser/radiator replaced and welded. CVs look fine, diff fluid and power steering fluid at appropriate levels. I am shifting as recommended... I have tried this on dirt and gravel. No lift or mods besides the aftermarket bumper and camper shell. What the heck is going on?

Back