4WD Problems

Riley051

I have a first gen 03 Tacoma DLX Crew Cab, 3.5, auto, and recently replaced dash lights. The battery was disconnected first and the process began, all went smoothly until I put it back together, the lights and gauges all function however, when put into 4WD, the light doesn't work, and it doesn't shift into 4WD. I checked the fuses and all are good unless there's a hidden one somewhere I'm missing. Any suggestions appreciated, the 4WD worked fine before the bulb change.

i had this issue a couple years ago in my '97... 4wd light went out in the summer and i had no way to really test if it was just the light and the front wheels were turning until a big snowstorm in the winter when i found out those front wheels were not engaging :mad: and it left me stranded a couple miles out and had to hoof it back in the cold and sleet.

turned out it was a faulty actuator switch underneath buried way up near the top of the transmission/transfer area

perhaps your '03 rig has the similar simple switch plug and not something purely electronic, i can't say for sure, many changes happened between '97 and '03

this video here MAY be helpful since you have an '03 model
if it looks like this underneath, which mine does not

Back