a word about the 2.7L 2TR-FE engine (M/T) and economy

MikoDel

My friend has been snapping pics of the MPG his RAM has been getting, and I was pretty impressed to finally see him get to 20mpg on his readout.
now, how reliable the Dodge truck's calculations are, i don't know. but i thought to myself, "damn, i should B doing waaaay better than I am w/my 2015 4cyl Yota." My Access Cab 4x4 Taco has about 57k on the clock now.

So I have been REALLY driving for economy lately. (CAPS on really is cause I always drive my truck for economy. i have a Repsol litrebike for when I feel the need to git my ya-ya's out)

i've been short shifting @ about 2k RPM, and a little higher for the higher gears, and skipping gears more than usual, whenever possible.
(when it doesn't bog the engine down of course)
and getting to 5th as slow as 30mph sometimes. (I also have a 2" lift and 31x10.50's mounted up, so if i had the stock tires i'd B doing even better)
I always drive a mix of HWY and city, and i do frequently carry medium-hvy loads because i am a climbing arborist.

I think my avg is about 19+ mpg @ this time. And also because of the taller tires I probably am getting slightly better mileage than my ODO shows.

i fill the fuel filler neck up when i get gas, if i have the time and patience, ( don't know how much more volume the filler neck holds), and i can now get to 400mi on my odo, while still running on fumes.

of course i don't chance running out of fuel, but if my trip odo says 380mi only a short while after my LOW FUEL light comes on, i know from experience I have many more than 20 miles to empty. In this pic I got to 250mi while still more or less @ half-full. When I take the time to top-off and get as much fuel in as i can, the gas gauge remains pegged above the FULL mark for almost 100mi before it starts moving down.

I usually use Sunoco 91oct.

Attachments

• ECONOMY-250.JPG
    ECONOMY-250.JPG
    385.8 KB · Views: 1
  • ECONOMY_382.jpg
    ECONOMY_382.jpg
    601.2 KB · Views: 1
Generally if your truck calls for it to run on 87, and your running premium, you're just burning up excess dollars. I can tell you if I run anything higher in octane than 89....my 3.5 3rd gen runs worse after a tankful. It runs best on 87 e10 here. I can't understand why some think a higher octane fuel gives their taco wings, unless mentally it makes them think it's better.

My friend has been snapping pics of the MPG his RAM has been getting, and I was pretty impressed to finally see him get to 20mpg on his readout.
now, how reliable the Dodge truck's calculations are, i don't know. but i thought to myself, "damn, i should B doing waaaay better than I am w/my 2015 4cyl Yota." My Access Cab 4x4 Taco has about 57k on the clock now.

So I have been REALLY driving for economy lately. (CAPS on really is cause I always drive my truck for economy. i have a Repsol litrebike for when I feel the need to git my ya-ya's out)

i've been short shifting @ about 2k RPM, and a little higher for the higher gears, and skipping gears more than usual, whenever possible.
(when it doesn't bog the engine down of course)
and getting to 5th as slow as 30mph sometimes. (I also have a 2" lift and 31x10.50's mounted up, so if i had the stock tires i'd B doing even better)
I always drive a mix of HWY and city, and i do frequently carry medium-hvy loads because i am a climbing arborist.

I think my avg is about 19+ mpg @ this time. And also because of the taller tires I probably am getting slightly better mileage than my ODO shows.

i fill the fuel filler neck up when i get gas, if i have the time and patience, ( don't know how much more volume the filler neck holds), and i can now get to 400mi on my odo, while still running on fumes.

of course i don't chance running out of fuel, but if my trip odo says 380mi only a short while after my LOW FUEL light comes on, i know from experience I have many more than 20 miles to empty. In this pic I got to 250mi while still more or less @ half-full. When I take the time to top-off and get as much fuel in as i can, the gas gauge remains pegged above the FULL mark for almost 100mi before it starts moving down.

I usually use Sunoco 91oct.
Have you ever put more than 20 gallons in that tank + up the filler neck

Have you ever put more than 20 gallons in that tank + up the filler neck
You are aware thats a no-no, really dumb to.....good way to ruin your vehicles charcoal canister, and screwup your emission system, not to mention cost money. Same for topping off.

Doesn't it help if that happens to IMMEDIATELY drive 20 miles and burn off a gallon to get level in tank down?

The damage can done Immediately when you overfill.:( Why not just fill your tank till the pump clicks off, and be finished. Otherwise stupid is what stupid does.

ahhhh, what do i know? i never knew you could do damage by filling up the neck. perhaps my charcoal canister has seen better days? i top off so i don't have to re-fuel as often. simple as that.

anyway i left out a relevant piece of info - when on the hwy i drive between 75 and 85mph usually. i'm sure i could do better economy-wise if i kept it @ 60. but i cannot.

the notation on the one pic is the amount of fuel that went in and the cost, which is the fuel i'm driving on now.

I learned from others, topping off your fuel tank over time can lead to decreased fuel economy as it screws up your vehicles emission system, not to mention cause a potential fire. Its just not a wise thing to do.

Back