ABS/Traction Control Issues - Need Help Diagnosing

I am a fairly green shade tree mechanic. Most of the time my approach to fixing my vehicle is a combination of Youtube videos with a healthy dose of FAFO. I usually can avoid major problems, but every now and again, I run into electrical issues, which are the bane of my existence. I know what I did wrong, and have paid in time, money, and pride. I need help fixing the results of my FAFO style... here we go.

Problem:
I attempted to so some work on my front suspension and made some assumptions that did not turn out well for me. I unintentionally separated the body and frame and learned a lot about the Tacoma! After being roasted by my brothers, and beating myself up about doing something so stupid, I got to work trying to diagnose the problem.

Result of My Problem:
Wheel speed sensor wiring harness ripped out. Power steering line pulled free from the reservoir and power steering pump. Power steering reservoir had a small crack. Intermediate steering column separated from the steering wheel. Steering wheel spun freely causing the clock spring to be damaged. E-Brake, ABS, Trac Control lights came on. When plugged into ODB-II computer, the computer states it cannot communicate with the ABS module due to low voltage. I feel like my brake pedal is "softer" than it was, but it is possible that is a psychosomatic response to having royally screwed up my truck.

Corrective Actions:
Action: Replaced the wheel speed sensor wiring harnesses.
Result: Fixed my limp mode issue.
Action 2: Replaced wheel speed sensors.
Result: Speedometer and limp mode fixed.
Action 3: Replaced Power steering reservoir and attached hoses.
Result: Power steering functions.
Action 4: Reconnected intermediate steering column to steering wheel.
Result: Can steer
Action 5: Replaced clock spring (did not replace the steering wheel position sensor because the one that came with the clock spring did no fit my vehicle). Used the original steering wheel position sensor.
Result: Limp mode resolved, e-brake light turned off.
Action 6: Verified brake fluid levels are correct. Did not attempt to bleed brakes, I didn't think of it, and not sure I need it.

Current State: The operates as it should with the exception of ABS and traction control. Those do not work and the associated lights are on. Where do I go from here without going to the dealership.

I'm an old shade tree mechanic to, but its nearly impossible to diagnose anything online without seeing it, and digging in when you have five finger drift.

I suspect the ABS control module has been damaged.

I think you're in for a trip to a dealer or a certified brake shop.

ABS can be finicky. A DIYer without the proper diagnostic tools is playing blind man's bluff in the dark.

Last edited:
Back